Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Full FedEx TA now available at ALPA website.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Grids?

Am I the only one baffled by the grids? My BA brain was unable to determine whether these are good, bad or neutral. Has anyone been able to decipher (or had explained to them) exactly what the implications of these are?

hoya

Purpled: There are new hires from Oct/Nov of last year still waiting for training in the right seat of the Boeing who didn't hold a widebody FO slot in the last bid. Not everybody on the property today can hold widebody FO. Yes, anybody who was here during the entire ammendable period could probably have held widebody right seat if they had wanted to.

The number of SOs who could hold it but chose to stay in the back for whatever reason is likely pretty small but I think they still deserve more than a measly $7400 in my opinion. I am not one of those guys, so I am not complaining for myself. They work harder than anybody and should have been thrown more of a bone.

Anybody have any ideas on the grandfather clause?

FJ

I read the section about the retro/bonus pay. Anyone have any idea about tax implications? Does the amount count towards taxable income for the year in which you receive the check? The amounts are pre-tax, I assume?

MAGNUM!! said:
I read the section about the retro/bonus pay. Anyone have any idea about tax implications? Does the amount count towards taxable income for the year in which you receive the check? The amounts are pre-tax, I assume?

taxed the year you receive them and yes pre-tax.

Falconjet said:
Purpled: There are new hires from Oct/Nov of last year still waiting for training in the right seat of the Boeing who didn't hold a widebody FO slot in the last bid. Not everybody on the property today can hold widebody FO. Yes, anybody who was here during the entire ammendable period could probably have held widebody right seat if they had wanted to.

The number of SOs who could hold it but chose to stay in the back for whatever reason is likely pretty small but I think they still deserve more than a measly $7400 in my opinion. I am not one of those guys, so I am not complaining for myself. They work harder than anybody and should have been thrown more of a bone.

Anybody have any ideas on the grandfather clause?

FJ

FJ,

I agree that the amount isn't enough, but the junior pilot at the company is getting passover pay for WB F/O from post 06-02. Anybody senior to him has no right to complain that they aren't getting passover(and the retro implications) since they could have bid his slot. It's a bummer that those waiting for MEM, LAX, A300 and 727 FO slots aren't getting the higher rate, but it's within the language of the contract. Again, those from 05-03 who got moved later really got screwed, but will get nowhere with it since it too adhears to the CBA.

The 'they work harder than an FO' claim doesn't hold water with me, since the payrates have always been gradient to seat position, not how hard you work.

What we really need to do is divide the retro amount by 29(months), then 79(avg BLG), then by your current pay rate to see what the real retro % is. For me it is about 6.5.(see my first sentence)

Don't get me wrong, I want us all to get more. In fact, I'd like to see retro/signing bonus be based on your current awarded seat position, but that's a pipe dream. I just don't see how folks who passed up a slot for one reason or another have a beef with getting paid for their current slot.

Am I missing something? (besides half a brain)

Magnum:

The bonus will be treated as pensionable wages for the year they are paid. So about half in Nov 06 and half in Jun 07 if the TA is approved. That means they count towards A and B funds and will be taxible in that year.

FJ

What I am ashamed of is that initial training pay remains at $2k a month. We should have spent a little money for those guys.

As far as passover for the new guys....not really a factor since the money is all about the same the first year.

Purpled: If the junior guy could hold ANC and is getting passover that is good for him. Anyone senior to him then could have bid it and been eligible then, but they couldn't all have gotten it, there were only 76 slots or so. Regardless, $7400 for 2.5 years for anybody on the property is too little in my opinion.

Apparently the senior guys on the NC and the MEC didn't feel that way, that is just something I need to get a handle on. A lesson learned for me.

Still no ideas on the grandfather clause? Anybody?

FJ

Another thought concerning the retro pay/bonus. In my eyes, the retro pay is to compensate for wages lost due to not having a contract in place for the last 2+ years. That being the case, shouldn't someone who has been in a seat the entire time get more than someone who just upgraded in the last few months, or over the course of negotiations?

Now don't get me wrong, I think the way they are doing it is the fine, but I have to question someone who might be complaining about how much retro they get when they have only been in the new seat a few months.

active_herk said:
Another thought concerning the retro pay/bonus. In my eyes, the retro pay is to compensate for wages lost due to not having a contract in place for the last 2+ years. That being the case, shouldn't someone who has been in a seat the entire time get more than someone who just upgraded in the last few months, or over the course of negotiations?

Now don't get me wrong, I think the way they are doing it is the fine, but I have to question someone who might be complaining about how much retro they get when they have only been in the new seat a few months.

I really like the fact that in that scenario they were able to get a higher bonus for more people. Maybe the low bonus for S/Os helped fund that, which could have been by design, rewarding those who were willing to upgrade. As Albie mentioned, I will make out fine if the TA is approved.

The only thing I am concerned about (not complaining) is that somebody has to fill the back seats and in my mind they deserve more than the bonus that has been offered.

I also agree with Echo that the pay during training could have been improved a bit without breaking the bank.

FJ

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back