Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Full FedEx TA now available at ALPA website.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A-380 rates

I'm looking forward to the road show presentations. I'm sure that most of my questions will be answered such that I'll be able to make a much more informed decision than I would be able to at the moment.

I was suprised to see how little difference there was from wide body to A-380. I mean, the company will be generating double the revenue per leg of an MD-11 flight. I wasn't expecting double the pay rate, but you have to admit that the hourly crew costs (even with double augmentation) for the A-380 will amount to a grain of sand in a very large hourglass!

Re: my vote. My Negotiating Committee speaks for my and if there is a unanimous vote from the committee and the MEC, that is a really strong indication for a yes vote. (After the road show presentation, I'll be able to determine if it is really just a huge conspiracy by the NC/MEC to trick us into accepting a subpar agreement!)

IMHO, the reason we have crewmember ratification is so that if a TA was presented that did not have unanimous support of the NC and/or the MEC, the crewmembers would have the final say so.

I think it will be pretty hard to justify not supporting a 100% buy-in from the members closest involved for the last 2-1/2 years.

Of course, I could be drowning in ALPA koolaide - time will tell.

A side note: I did think it significant that the UPS agreement passed by 56%. I have to think that UPS management toasted that result - only missing their target of 51% by 5% would have to be considered a success in most peoples' minds. Let's hope the UPS pilots are not split from this vote and that their agreement is much better than the final vote of support indicated!!!

DornierPilot said:
Re: my vote. My Negotiating Committee speaks for my and if there is a unanimous vote from the committee and the MEC, that is a really strong indication for a yes vote. (After the road show presentation, I'll be able to determine if it is really just a huge conspiracy by the NC/MEC to trick us into accepting a subpar agreement!)

Well Said!

Purpledog said:
Since I don't ever plan on long haul international, retirement is a long way off, and I never fly more than I have to, I don't really see many improvements.

Not planning on long haul international? While the domestic side is good, it shrank year over year. More is being shipped by truck, like UPS. International will continue to fund growth as the domestic side is now fully mature.

Last edited:
WorldOnTime said:
Sluggo, I prefer to think of you more as the "Crew Room Prophet". Or "The Creepy Guy In The Crashpad That Sneaks Into My Room".
"Creepy?" You're the one prancing around in a sundress, pumps and a bonnet.

Don't ever stop... by the way... your mattress is lumpy.

FlyBoeingJets said:
Not planning on long haul international? While the domestic side is good, it shrank year over year. More is being shipped by truck, like UPS. International will continue to fund growth as the domestic side is now fully mature.

Agreed. But it still requires a lot of air effort to get the job done. You're not going to truck a package from MIA to SEA overnight. Due to better yield management and price increases the domestic side still recorded growth despite modestly declining volume.

I'm not planning on international either. Just the thought makes my skin crawl. Best part about this place is that I don't have to if I don't want to.

Choice is a beautiful thing.

Concerning the TA. So far my review hasn't revealed anything that would be so adverse to the narrowbody arena that would cause me to say nay, but I'll reserve my 'final answer' until after the road show.

I'd like to heap more derision on the guy who complained about no improvements to the vacation system....Listen sport, the committee gave up lots of radical improvement to other facets of the contract in order to preserve the vacation system. Management was gunning for a new and more "productive" system and pilots placed a lot of emphasis on keeping the one we have now, even at the expense of some other improvemets. No other company has a system that allows the same flexibility, etc.

So you are NEVER going to retire? I bet it sneaks up on you faster than you expect.
You and I agree on that for sure. That's why I think it is silly changing the A plan instead of going for great improvements to our B. How about 13% like UPS. The "A" is a dinosaur and I'll be surprised if it's around in another 15+ years. I'd rather have a bird in hand instead of an IOU from Fred.

You guys keep saying the A Fund "won't be around in 15 years", next thing you know MANAGEMENT will pick up on this and make it happen.

Was in Mem last night listening to one of the MEC reps talking TA. Was very impressed at how satisfied the MEC was with the contract. Little or no decension, which surprised me. WE BASICALLY GOT OUR OCT OFFER. That is huge. You can gripe about the smallish bonus or this or that, but when you get what you ask for......

Just read thru the thing on an 8 hr ocean crossing. Overall, yes it does seem like we got most of what the negotiating committee wanted. Some notes:

- have to hear more on the "grid" but initially it doesn't sound so great - allows a 14 hour layover on an intl leg - just got done with a 1.5 hour cab ride which is not uncommon - 14 hrs is not sufficient
- Rig change not until 2008 - that is ridiculous!
- some improvements to health care - except for the $35/copay for name brand prescription drugs
- deviation bank tax thing - like to hear that better explained
- Trip Trade website - it's been in the current contract since signing but does this mean the company will actually put some effort into it?
- Agency Shop - forces everyone to pay except for those people not allowed into ALPA for one reason or another - or face being fired - welcome Fox Hunter
- Improvements on viewing open time and reserve predictions- if "system allows" will be able to see all open time and not just 40+ hrs into future - reserve predictions via the computer seem pretty good showing much more data than current
- pay rates - sure our table position was 8%DOS + 4% but that was 2 years ago - certainly there should be a better improvement as our pay as continued to deflate - the pay raise in the TA is worse than the guaranteed COLA folks on FICA get
- block override - company's proposal to capture seemed better to me - we now only capture everything over 8 - will make those RFO pairings nice but I would think that capturing all over 6 for 2 man crew and 9 for 3 man crew would have worked out better in our favor (Company's proposal)
- intl override increase - better but still way below the standard that most carriers get for flying intl
- per diem increase - what a joke - 5cents/yr for 2 years - why did they even waste the time discussing that chapter - it's not like stuff hasn't gotten real expensive in Asia or anything
- scope improvements? other than that letter of intentions is there anything?

Basically what I see is that UPS got huge improvements and we got very minor ones to match theirs. Does that mean that UPS company was willing to give up more $$ or that their union negotiated better?

Latest resources

Back