• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Fuel reserve question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Your filed alternate is used for planning purposes only, once you divert from your desintation every airport with weather above minimums is legal airport.

Here we go.

pilotyip said:
Your filed alternate is used for planning purposes only, once you divert from your desintation every airport with weather above minimums is legal airport.

Ok, my friend. You put it on the table. Let's broaden this discussion a little now that the original question has been addressed (never one to be guilty of thread drift).

I was taught (at least under 121) that the dispatch release is a legal document and the only two airports you're released to fly to are the destination and the alternate.

If you require a change in the destination *or* the alternate then you must have a "re-release" from dispatch.

What does everyone say to that? Extra points for chapter and verse.

a&p said:
Okay, everyone knows the rule of 45 minutes reserve after reaching destination and alternate, blah blah. But are you allowed to tap into those reserves?... ...Can they take legal action? What if you had 45 minutes left (but not enough to make it to an alternate +45 mins)?
Just keep circling the destination airport until you have to declare an emergency, then shoot the ILS below mins as a deviate captain. After you land, fill out the handy Nassau form, then go get a cup of coffee or take nap on the FBO couch.

But seriously...why would you hold so long at the destination. I think you answered your own question.

Last edited:
Almerick07 said:
I try to make fuel concerns non existent, If im going anywhere of significant distance in any type of conditions I get it topped off...youre going to burn it sooner or later. even 45 minutes reserve is questionable, especially flying old equipment and not knowing how accurate those figures are in the POH anymore.
"Topping Off" may be an option on some airplanes, but not on others. Most jets and many turboprops are routinely fueled for the particular trip. Many are incapable of "legal" flight with the tanks topped off and more than the crew and a certain minimum amount of payload on board. Nearly every flight requires juggling the amount of fuel that is desired to be carried on board with the number of passengers, cargo, etc. that you want to carry, against the maximum weight that will permit you to achieve the required performance for that particular runway on that particular day. On top of that, you often have to look "down range" for a landing or two to make sure that you're not going to exceed any max landing weight limitations or approach climb restrictions. The primary way you handle these issues is by restricting your fuel load.

'Sled

I'm well aware of fuel concerns on most larger aircraft, i was just giving my opinion in the aircraft i fly on a regular basis. I fly a KA200 and we almost never have the tanks completely full, but needless to say there is always enough to free us from our worries. once again a KA200 isnt a very large a/c and i understand your point completely.

mar you are correct except in an emergency for 121, he was asking a 135 question I believe

mar said:
Ok, my friend. You put it on the table. Let's broaden this discussion a little now that the original question has been addressed (never one to be guilty of thread drift).

I was taught (at least under 121) that the dispatch release is a legal document and the only two airports you're released to fly to are the destination and the alternate.

If you require a change in the destination *or* the alternate then you must have a "re-release" from dispatch.

What does everyone say to that? Extra points for chapter and verse.

At the 135 operator I flew for, our op specs gave the pilots the final operating authority on all flights. We could divert to any airport we wanted to providing it was legal, without having to contact the company first.

See 'mar' RTFQ

pilotyip said:
mar you are correct except in an emergency for 121, he was asking a 135 question I believe

Oops.

Guess I forgot that little detail.

That's what I get for trying to "broaden" the discussion.

Latest resources

Back