• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Fuel Requirement Discussion

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You guys are worried about nothing. How many airliners have landed/crahsed without gas, none since I've been flying 121.

If you have 45 minutes, it is there for you to use, so use it: Use it on the ground holding for that flow time into Las Vegas, if you are behind schedule fly fast and get there (the pax want you to) etc.

The reason that no airliners have crashed due to fuel exhaustion during your extensive 121 flying career, is that the PROFESSIONAL pilots who command pt121 (and many pt135) flights DON"T plan to burn in to their 45 minute RESERVE fuel. Its for unforseen circumstances. If you want your 121 career to continue you may want to consider that and take some advice from those who've been around.

If you're headed down final with 47 minutes of "cruising" reseve fuel on board and you have to go around for any number of common reasons, how much fuel do you have left now? Not much fuel for the actual rate you are burning it. Be smart and SAFE with the amount of reserve fuel you have for unknown contingencies that occur at the END of the flight not at the start or the middle. (THE PAX WANT YOU TO) (hell the pax expect and demand you to)

Thanks for the discussion guys. Paulsalem hit the nail on the head saying for some reason, the fuel FAR's go silent after takeoff in the 121 world.

After reading I should have added:

D. X to B to X +?? minutes

I appreciate everyones viewpoints in this discussion.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back