Fuel oil vs Jet A

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Clear-&aMillion said:
The DA42 can operate on both diesel or Jet-A. Pretty neat.

I remember reading that it can only run on Diesel in Europe. American diesel has too much sulfer. Apparently, Europe, with its greater number of high-performance diesel cars, has a higher fuel specification.

Actually jet fuel does have lubrication properties, and most fuel controllers and fuel pumps are fuel lubricated. Operation sans fuel can be very damaging. It's also partially for this reason that many systems operating on suction feed can suffer damage or have life limits.

All diesel fuels are kerosine fuels. Some types of jet fuel are cut fuels mixing avgas or other gasoline blends, some are not.

I've run a lot of #2 diesel in pratts under Ag.

When using alternate fuels, some will require resetting the fuel controller, and in some cases, the use of different fuel nozzles.

The biggest danger of using jet discard fuel is dirty fuel; filter it and check it before burning it to avoid contamination. It should run in your truck or heater quite well.

We use Jet-A sump fuel in all of our fuel truck diesel engines (saves lots of money). No problems as of yet, with new Cat and Mercedes engines

Clear-&aMillion said:
The DA42 can operate on both diesel or Jet-A. Pretty neat.
Actually, it can not operate on US diesel, at least not yet. It needs a purer form of diesel, available in Europe. US diesel fuel has to much sulphur in it for the DA42. That's why, even though it is a diesel engine, it needs Jet A.

Anytime you want to run an engine designed for diesel on Jet A, just add a small can of two stroke oil (the type for lawn mowers, I can't remember the liquid ounces right now) per 50 gallons. The will almost exactly replicate the lubricity of Diesel.

Latest resources

Back