• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Fuel oil vs Jet A

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ok here is the latest the furnace is working wonderfully now. i decided to play mr fix it myself before the wife came home. there was some dirt and rust in the tank that i took the Jet A from and made it all the way into the furnace nozzle. so it just wasnt getting the fuel. but i have had it on for a while now and its burning good. i also found out on the furnace itself it said "use #2 or lighter grade" fuel so i imagine that the jet A is going to be just fine. i only put about 10gallons in to start off with as a test. so on monday im going out to the MX hangar at my work they have 3 full 55 gallon drums for the taking.

Jet A does not have the lubrication properties that Diesel/heating oil does, because in a turbine engine there are no parts requiring lubrication by the fuel.....the same is NOT true with engines that run off of diesel/heating oil. You may have fried a bearing that is lubricated with the fuel.

Hopefully, all that needs to be done is mix sufficient heating oil with it to make it burn properly(since Jet A has a higher flashpoint, though not much)...but I suspect you caused some damage.

A trick I have learned over the years operating diesel engined vehicles is that if you put something like Jet A in it, or even end up with half a tank or more of gasoline in a diesel tank, is to mix a quart of oil into the fuel, or dump a few quartz of Crisco in it for lubrication properties.

A diesel engine will burn gasoline...but the lack of lubrication is what really destroys the engine. Same with your furnace, I suspect.

I stand corrected

FracCapt said:
Jet A does not have the lubrication properties that Diesel/heating oil does, because in a turbine engine there are no parts requiring lubrication by the fuel.....the same is NOT true with engines that run off of diesel/heating oil. You may have fried a bearing that is lubricated with the fuel.

I'm really battin' zero lately, but thanks for the correction.

paulsalem said:
I was wondering how long it would take that picture to make it in somone's Avitar.

Watchout EagleRJ the entire mulslim world my be RPG'ing you're home soon.

But that is a funny pic.

Bring 'em on!

I've got pork chops, cold Heineken, an unveiled woman, and a crucifix. I'll send them home upgraded to Islam 2.0!

EagleRJ said:
Bring 'em on!

I've got pork chops, cold Heineken, an unveiled woman, and a crucifix. I'll send them home upgraded to Islam 2.0!

Aaahahahahahaha! F-in Hilarious!!

FracCapt said:

Hopefully, all that needs to be done is mix sufficient heating oil with it to make it burn properly(since Jet A has a higher flashpoint, though not much)...but I suspect you caused some damage.

A trick I have learned over the years operating diesel engined vehicles is that if you put something like Jet A in it, or even end up with half a tank or more of gasoline in a diesel tank, is to mix a quart of oil into the fuel, or dump a few quartz of Crisco in it for lubrication properties.

A diesel engine will burn gasoline...but the lack of lubrication is what really destroys the engine. Same with your furnace, I suspect.

thanks for the input, i actually do not think that i damaged anything. there is more to this story. i bought a 55gallon drum from a guy that works at a bakery. some kind of crisco or oil they use comes in them so there was actually a some left in the barrel not much but along the sides and bottom layer. when i pumped the fuel out of the sump tank at the fbo i could see the dirt and rust particles flowing in the tank. i thought that since it most likely weighs more it would sink to the bottom of the tank and when i transfered the fuel into my house i would not let the hose sink to the bottom of the barrel just let it skim the top. i was not prepared and just winged it my first time. monday i get clean barrels and the proper pump and filter. im also going to get in touch with the company that produces my furnace just to be sure and check with the lubrication issues. im glad you said that i should dump crisco in it i was worried that was the problem in the first place.

crisco or any type of bio diesel has 3000 time the lubrication properties that straight diesel has.

Trust me you aren't really going to hurt a furnace. There are no moving parts besides the pump.

Aslong as youcan hold a flame put her to it.

atr42flyer said:
im glad you said that i should dump crisco in it i was worried that was the problem in the first place.

Small amounts of it won't hurt at all. I don't have any clue whether or not your pump is lubricated by the fuel(if it's submerged, it probably is). If you run straight jet A through it, and certain parts ARE lubricated by the fuel, then dump a couple quarts or so of vegetable oil in that 55 gallon drum....or use some type of diesel fuel additive that lubricates and boosts cetane....or dump a quart of motor oil in the drum. They will all accomplish the end goal of adding lubrication that is severely lacking in Jet A.

Latest resources

Back