FTC Private Air Terminal Morristown...BEWARE

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

thatpilotguy

I have taken a day or so to gather my thoughts prior to writing this, but there is no way that I could let the experience we had go unheard in the corporate, fractional and charter aviation community.

We have all had the "terrible" FBO experience, but this one takes the cake. I'll start at the beginning...I called Signature and FTC in MMU and priced the ramp, overnight and fuel costs for both FBO's. Having always used Signature, I was pleased to see that there might be an alternative FBO at Morristown. The overnight fees, and facility fees where less...so we gave FTC a shot.

The passenger rental car had no fuel. Not the FBO's fault, but they should have checked. Our arrival was at 11pm...and the passengers could not find an open gas station. They actually had to stop a local law enforcement officer and find a gas station with pumps that were still on. The crew rental car was not at the FBO and they could not get one. They ordered us a town car to the hotel at a cost of $30.00.

The following morning we went to the FBO and picked up a rental car, and I spoke to the FBO manager Alex. I typically wouldn't use first names, but this guy deserves all that is coming to him! I spoke to him about the passenger rental car fuel problem and then the crew rental car issue. I asked that the FBO pick up the $30.00 for the cab ride to the hotel as a result of the crew rental car screw up. He declined and added that we were to pay an overtime charge and after hours fee in addition to the facility and over night ramp fee. I said no...I had the guys name that I spoke too, he knew our arrival time and mentioned nothing about the additional fees. He asked if we where going to buy fuel...I said, no. At this point things got ugly. Alex went completely off the handle when I said that I wouldn't buy gas, wouldn't pay the overtime and after hours fees. I continued to argue with him...they failed to deliver the services we had arranged, failed to make good on the services they where to provide, and now you think that I'm going to pay some fees that were never discussed when I setup our arrival...no way. He then asked if I had signed some sort of legal agreement letter. I said no, and he asked me to sign it. I declined...and told him that our legal team would need to review it before I could sign anything. He then said that he wasn't going to let us leave...I actually laughed out loud...and said that we wanted to be online at 5pm and I would pay the $400.00 that we discussed now, no more than that amount. Having lost the arguement I thought that was the end of it.

I received a conference call from the executive assistant for one of our passengers, the executive assitant to the owner of the company and other company officials...the executive assistant called the FBO to followup with the passengers rental car having no fuel and Alex went off. Using all sorts of profanity, name calling and was beyond unpleasant with her. This conference call lasted minutes...and of course we won't be going back.

I did call FTC late last night and found out a little more about their operation. Apparently Alex is in charge of fuel, the rental cars and any overtime, after hours fees. There is another group that is in charge of the ramp and facility fees. Alex reports to no one, and I have not been able to get a hold of the group in charge of the facility and ramp fees.

In any event, the legal letter is to disolve them of any aircraft damage, essentially a hold harmless agreement. They are not a true FBO, as I'm sure that MMU would not approve another FBO...with all that said, use Signature. I wouldn't normally endorse them, but take my experience and learn from it. There is no excuse for this type of behavior, or bad management...it is my goal to leave a review about our experience on any forum, or customer review board I can find...and then email them a link to the review so they can read the glowing remarks. Someone once told me that there is no better advertising than word of mouth!

DON'T GO TO FTC!!!

man, that sounds awful. We never sign those things. He would hate us as well, we rarely buy fuel(tanker,tanker) either.

Have you read or written any comments at Airnav.com or fltplan? There are some similar experiences on that site.

There is no way I would tolerate that kind of operation, it costs way too much to fly these days to have bad service.

Thank you for the info BTW

Like most on these boards, I think that the Signature FBO chain is a rip off on price and lackluster at best on service -with the one exception of MMU. I have been going in their for years. First as a lowly freight dog flying tired old Navaho's at 4am and later, as a Jet Captain, and I have always had excellent service from these folks. I guess it boils down to the management on property. Anyway, thanks for the 'heads up'. I won't be patronizing that outfit either.

Wow!!!

We were just at FTC this morning and have used them many times. I've never experienced nor heard of anyone having the problems you describe. It's definitely a small, mom & pop type operation but that's one of the reasons we choose to go there. Rental cars/limos are always waiting within feet of our aircraft and fuel and catering are delivered as quickly as any FBO I've ever been to. Certainly faster service than anywhere at TEB. Saving >$1.00 per gallon vs. Signature is also a big incentive.

Your interaction with Alex sounds like a nightmare. This is so far from anything I've experienced that I wonder if there's not more to the story? Regardless, there's no excuse for an employee acting that way.

As for the "legal letter"- are you referring to the "membership agreement" that everyone using FTC has to sign? Since FTC is a "Private FBO" you have to be a "Member" to use it. Membership is free of charge, available to anyone and renewable month-to-month (only have to fill out the paperwork once). My understanding is that the whole membership deal is to get around a city ordinance(?). Regardless, it was a pretty easy decision for me to become a member in order to save $2,000+ per top-off.

HMR-

Like any place I'm sure that there are folks out there that have had a positive experience with FTC. I actually ran into my old Chief Pilot. He was the guy that hired me for my first flying job, and I respect him very much, and he had nothing but good things to say about FTC.

I can tell you truthfully, that there isn't more to the story. I'm a pretty likeable guy, not one for arguing or starting a war of words. Honestly, I didn't care all that much that Alex was upset with me, I cared more about his treatment of the administrative assistant. I believe what she said he called her and how he spoke to her.

I have read the membership agreement, and to be honest after our arguement, I didn't care if it said I won the lottery, I wasn't about to sign anything he gave me.

The fuel price at FTC is better than Signature, the CAA fuel price at TEB is cheaper still and with our ability to tanker fuel, more often than not we don't buy gas on the road. Given the choice we will most likely go to TEB in the future. The line guys at FTC were great, and if they would switch rental car companies, none of this would have been an issue.

Last edited:
4 most recent comments from AirNav.com

02-Jul-2008 Fuel price is no joke, but this is a bait-and-switch operation in the best tradition of a New York three-card Monte operation. Ramp fees that they don't tell you about are astronomical and put the total cost way up over Signature's outrageous fees. Caveat emptor.

05-Jun-2008I was not very pleased with the service with FTC Private Terminal. Marshalling us into their ramp was difficult due to not understanding the line crew with signals not used by the AIM concerning. The Ramp Fees were expensive and were mentioned on the website (Members only! Becoming a member requires no fees or commitments. Simply fill out a membership agreement that is pilot-executable and non-binding. New members welcome!) I was charge over $350 for two nights for a light jet. I will never go back to FTC or MMU.

19-May-2008Jet fuel price $5.27. Charged ramp fee of $206.00 for a turboprop. Nice friendly service. Even have a crew car to get eats. Pilot's pax lounge comfortable. They have Internet and WSI with a working printer! I can't compare with Signature on the field since we have used FTC for quite a while. It helps to call ahead with a phone call with an ETA so they can be waiting for you. Not a 24 hr operation.

24-Oct-2007What a RIP OFF. Fuel is quoted as cheap, however they fail to tell you there is a HUGE ramp fee. We were charged $560 for the privilege of parking for two nights. Avoid these people.

Last edited:
I said no, and he asked me to sign it. I declined...and told him that our legal team would need to review it before I could sign anything. He then said that he wasn't going to let us leave...

If the plane wasn't buried somewhere and you can start engines where it was sitting, I would have jumped in the plane and took it over to Signature right then and there. Tell him to contact the company attorneys.

"Alex", have to remember this prick.

Never sign anything!

I dont say this often...:laugh: ....but Im right there with 91, Id laugh at that ass and go move the plane right then and there.

I'd also contact Alex's boss with the details and send him a link to this and any other threads as these boards do get some (although not as much as one may think) exposure out in the industry..

If he worked for me he would be gone tomorrow! - its a competitive market today, places cant afford to have an "Alex"

Latest resources

Back