Ft. Rucker?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Birdstrike said:
George was the name of the overspeed governor in the TH-55.

If you rapped on too much throttle too quickly, George would kick in and bump the RPMs back down to prevent an overspeed.

I don't think he'll be back unless the Army goes back to recips for primary.

Funny thing. When I went through instruments and was in the huey sim, I had a guest IP call the force trim "George". He said, "Turn George on and let him fly for you".

I hated George...

Hobit said:
You haven't experienced 'The South' until you've lived in Daleville!

(pronounced correctly, daleville lasts 5 seconds)

Another funny story about those parts...well, North of there in Birmingham. Was on Funeral detail waiting on WOBC. Did a funeral for a CSM who happened to be African American. Never forget, the guy at the funeral home said, "This here is a black funeral. They do things different than WE do".

I looked at my watch and wondered what decade I was in.

How things have changed. I went thru Mother Rucker in the early 70's when it was all Military or DAC instructors. Paid a visit to Enterprise a couple of years ago. It was fun, wife was bored, the museum is a shadow of it's former self. Looked myself up in the WO museum still there.

Why bother with cool hats when they promote you right after WOCD? Ended the tradition of having your ass attacked by Tac's at the drop of a hat so to speak....Bums me out after my last move the old royal blue hat disappeared

flyjetspeed said:
How things have changed. I went thru Mother Rucker in the early 70's when it was all Military or DAC instructors. Paid a visit to Enterprise a couple of years ago. It was fun, wife was bored, the museum is a shadow of it's former self. Looked myself up in the WO museum still there.
I know the new museum cost zillions but I kind of liked roaming through those old lonely warehouses where they kept everything with the huge floor fans blowing to keep the temps to a comfortable 90. They had character. Seems like only a fraction of the stuff they have is on display now.

nosehair said:
Hey, Andy! You got lost...so, were you an instructor?...or did you just go through helicopter flight school an' on to Nam?...? what? Did you live in Dothan, Enterprise, or Ozark? I lived in all of 'em...

Gold Flight 72-07

Sorry for the delayed answer. I haven't been following this thread very closely. I did TH-55A basic at Ft Wolters, TX, then on to Rucker for instruments in the TH-13T, contact in UH-1,B,D with guns in the UH-1B. I lived outside the Enterprise gate. Then on to Vietnam with 25th ID.

Did Germany with the 1st ID Fwd, 3 tours at Carson with the 4th ID, and Korea with the 2nd ID (Where in my records state "assign only to Infantry Divisions"?)

I came through in 74 for UH-1H IP school, 77-78 for RWIFEC, AWAOAC, and degree completion with AH-1G transition thrown in for fun. (Daleville Inn) The next year I did the WOSC by correspondence. A couple of years after that, I came back for the AH-1S transition.

My last time through there was for FWMEQC (88-89).(BOQ)

Last overseas assignments were in Kenya as an advisor to the Kenyan Army and Singapore as the US exchange officer to the RSAF. (Attached out of the good ol' 25th ID again)

Purple Hats 69-23

Last edited:
I went through the current FSXXI program and I thought it was great. I came out of flight school with 90 hours in the TH-67, 30 UH-1 Sim hours, 12 OH-58 hours, 6 UH-60 sim hours, and 75 UH-60 hours.

The new program is gonna have alot of sim time built into it... so thats gonna suck. Everyone keeps saying they're trying to get us out with the fewest hours they can, they might be true, but I came out with 3x the "advanced' a/c hours as my peers that went the traditional route.

Wow...how time flies (no pun intended). Class 64-7W seems like another life in another time. H-23's at Wolters and H-19's (pull pitch...better roll on more throttle!!) at Rucker. then a tour in VN in 65' (A & B model Huey's) and back to Rucker to instruct. Part way throught Contact MOI we were asked if we wanted an instrument rating? Yep...what's the catch? Well you will get your instrument rating and instructor ratings at the same time and then off to a new course called TAC Instrument in the TH-13T. 66' thru 67' were a blur of classes and near misses...Rucker was building at an unpresedent rate, traffic everywhere. The classes tripled in size from 7W!! So...as my old roomate at Wolters used to say..."and this to shall pass"...and it has

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back