• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ft. Rucker?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That's the eventual goal of the program. Right now, the test classes are going through an abbreviated 6 week primary and 6 week instruments then 2 weeks of nights all in the TH-67. After that, they are going on to their advanced airframe to do it all over again. Supposedly starting in 2006, all training will be done in a student's advanced airframe.

So it sounds like they finally got around to implementing that Matrix training you did that was supposed to indentify what airframe you should track?

Is that the gist behind XXI?

I think that the gist behind XXI is that students will graduate with significantly more time in their airframe than AQC. That way, they are more prepared to begin RL progression when they get to their units.

I guess needs of the army are still #1 when choosing airframes, but how will the breakdown go after that?

Top of class gets first choice then pick and choose? When I went through in 90, before we started flying, they had us do a battery of tests on a computer. It was supposed to identify what airframe that person would be best suited for. I was under the impression that your score helped determine (although at the bottom of the list) what direction you went.

Mr. Hogprint, you have the order correct. The army's needs always come first. How it works now, the training company at Rucker tells DA how many slots they need for upcoming aviators, say 50 for example. DA sends back 50 slots, divided up among the airframes based on how many new guys they need in what airframe. For example, they might send back 2 47's, 25 60's, 8 64's, and 15 58's. Prior to selection day, a list goes around the class and everybody gets to list their first, second, and third choices. On selection day, everybody sits around a conference table and a cadre member goes down the order of merit list assigning airframes based on the wish list. If your first choice is unavailable, you get your second, and so on.

Hogprint said:
I guess needs of the army are still #1 when choosing airframes, but how will the breakdown go after that?

Top of class gets first choice then pick and choose? When I went through in 90, before we started flying, they had us do a battery of tests on a computer. It was supposed to identify what airframe that person would be best suited for. I was under the impression that your score helped determine (although at the bottom of the list) what direction you went.

When I went through in 83, the classes before us had always been assigned airframes by the command. The better one performed the more likely one would receive an Aeroscout track. For our class we were allowed to choose based on class standing and airframe availability (needs of the army). There were only about 18 of us, and the first 10 or so of us went either Hawk, Cobra or for the Guard, Huey. That left the bottom 7 or so to go to the Aeroscout track. We did not hear good things from the Instructor group about the students. As a result we were told, the system we used was halted.

They seem to reinvent the wheel fairly often in Ruckerland. I recall some of our WOJGs had completed a "multi-track" program which had the same intention; more airframe hours at graduation. Then some of our new guys no longer did it and were back to an AQC. Seems the multi-track was helpful as the newbies made it through RL progression a little faster, or so we were told by the SP. I never noticed a difference in the cockpit.

I am really getting old. I gave a thought last week to flying down to Enterprise or Dothan and visiting the museum. Just need a pair of checkered slacks.

I went through Multi-track on the Cobra in 90. After instruments, you either tracked scouts, Cobras, Hueys, or hawks. Apaches and Hooks were considered AQC.

I think they changed it a year or so after I left. The TH-67 were coming on line then also.

Reminds me of a story. If you stick around long enough and keep observing, what you're waiting for will eventually come around again.

Case in point: Commissioned IPs. Late 70's it was not unheard of but somewhat rare for a 03 Company Cdr to be an IP unless he previously was one in another life as a WO or picked it up in the RC. Then came the early 80s and a rash of accidents that ended a bunch of previously required maneuvers in the UH-1 during IERW (touchdown autos, hydraulics-off demonstrations, and power-on running landings/ touch & go's are several that I recall).

Then in 1986 about a year after the AV branch was created (another full circle story), Rucker/TRADOC decided that many of these 500 hr Company Commanders who were no longer trained to perform some of these previously required (and highly useful) maneuvers "couldn't fly" and if they couldn't fly well, then how could they command an aviation company well?

So somebody decided, "I know, let's make them all do a year or two as a Rucker IP before they can command." This ran counter to all previous aviation officer personnel policy at the time. But that became the policy. Soon every Captain had to be rotated into IP school and serve a utilization tour at Rucker prior to assuming command. But by the end of 1987 that policy wasn't working work so well either; not enough IP school slots, timing problems, didn't need that many IPs, not everyone was cut out to be an Instructor, etc, so eventually that policy was abandoned as well.

I have no idea what the current doctrine is but I'll bet it discourages 03s from being IPs. But whatever it is, if you wait long enough, we'll likely see it come full circle again.

I wouldn't sell my stock in colored baseball caps yet, either. They may be back someday too. Only George is gone for good.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back