Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
nosehair said:
....George?
George was the name of the overspeed governor in the TH-55.
If you rapped on too much throttle too quickly, George would kick in and bump the RPMs back down to prevent an overspeed.

I don't think he'll be back unless the Army goes back to recips for primary.

Last edited:
Birdstrike,

I remember seeing a couple of O3 IPs in Cobra hall when I was going through. All the primary and Inst guys were retired and I can't recall who the contractor was at the time.

Your right though...it will all come full circle in a few years!

How does the Army justify doing all the training in the selected airframe? I imagine that the cost of a 64 per flight hour completely dwarfs the cost of a TH67 flight hour. Plus, they would have to generate so many more combat airframes that the amount of maintenace workers would be staggering. Do they have contract maintenace, or do they use soldiers? How can they pull combat airframes out of Iraq/Afghanistan just to fill the flight line at Rucker?

I understand the desire to have a new aviator more experienced in his assigned airframe, I just can't believe that the Army will cover the financial and logistical cost.

Kuma said:
How does the Army justify doing all the training in the selected airframe? I imagine that the cost of a 64 per flight hour completely dwarfs the cost of a TH67 flight hour. Plus, they would have to generate so many more combat airframes that the amount of maintenace workers would be staggering. Do they have contract maintenace, or do they use soldiers? How can they pull combat airframes out of Iraq/Afghanistan just to fill the flight line at Rucker?

I understand the desire to have a new aviator more experienced in his assigned airframe, I just can't believe that the Army will cover the financial and logistical cost.

Kuma,

Your obviosly looking at this through an AF spectrum! :)

Unless anything has changed, all maint is contract at Rucker. Initial and Instrument tng is done in the 67. Then you move on to mission specific tng in your airframe. The airframes at Rucker will probably remain there for the duration of their life (I'm sure there are exceptions). When we were training on the UH-1s, they were all Nam era birds. They even had a couple of 59' frames in service around 90' (retired later that year) that I had the chance to fly.

I guess that part of training would be comparable to the Navys RAG maybe? The difference being we just had the pleasure of camping out in UCLA. (Unknown Corner of Lower Alabama!)

Andy Neill said:
Hey! So was I!

Hey, Andy! You got lost...so, were you an instructor?...or did you just go through helicopter flight school an' on to Nam?...? what? Did you live in Dothan, Enterprise, or Ozark? I lived in all of 'em...

Gold Flight 72-07

Last edited:
Wow! When I went through Mother Rucker in 80 we got to fill out the "Dream Sheet" on what track or aircraft we wanted to fly. I chose to stay with the "Old Huey" because I knew the Cobra guys wouldn't be knocking down much flight. As I recall everyone who wanted scout or cobra's got it. There was no Fixed Wing track available at the time, you had to be W3 or W4 to be even considered. Birdstrike you are correct on the Commisioned Officers IP training, I showed up for the Advance course in 84 and the group of us who had orders for IP training, our orders were cancelled because unless you were going overseas the Commisioned side got our slots. Things sure have changed.

Orange Flight 80-27

nosehair said:
..Did you live in Dothan, Enterprise, or Ozark? I lived in all of 'em...

Gold Flight 72-07
I'll never forget the look on my wife's face, a Yankee, when I asked her whether she'd prefer to live in Ozark or Enterprise?

You haven't experienced 'The South' until you've lived in Daleville!

(pronounced correctly, daleville lasts 5 seconds)

I liked the barber shop in Daleville with the Korean girls who would give you a neck massage and hair cut for $1.50. 1981 dollars.

81-15

D17s said:
I liked the barber shop in Daleville with the Korean girls who would give you a neck massage and hair cut for $1.50. 1981 dollars.

81-15

Still there last time I went through in 95. I think the price went up to $8 though...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back