Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

imisscorplife

Hi there everyone! quick question!

I might be getting typed in the Falcon 20 (PIC) soon and was wondering how checkride day is? Is the oral long? do they even have one? etc. in a nutshell if you could, Thanks a bunch!

PS I know its a stressful 2 weeks as is, especially if you have zero time in that a/c, but do they go out of their way to hang you out to dry come the checkride?

It's not like some of the chicken$h!t pulled by regional (and some legacy) training departments.

You are the customer and they get no satisfaction from your suffering. If you have questions, ask. If you need to do a maneuver again (during training), ask.

The only thing I didn't like was doing the oral and checkride the same day. It makes for a long day. TC

Hi there everyone! quick question!

I might be getting typed in the Falcon 20 (PIC) soon and was wondering how checkride day is? Is the oral long? do they even have one? etc. in a nutshell if you could, Thanks a bunch!

PS I know its a stressful 2 weeks as is, especially if you have zero time in that a/c, but do they go out of their way to hang you out to dry come the checkride?
No, they certainly do not go out of their way to hang you, however the TREs (Type Rating Examiners) are working for the FAA when they give a check, so you can expect to be held to ATP standards. If you study each day after class and take advantage of all the time in the FTDs you can get, you should have no problem.

Checks in the light and mid-size jets usually take about 6 hours, with two hours for the oral exam and a 2.5 hour check. Expect about a half hour prior the check and an hour after for briefing, debriefing and paperwork.

It's not like some of the chicken$h!t pulled by regional (and some legacy) training departments.

You are the customer and they get no satisfaction from your suffering. If you have questions, ask. If you need to do a maneuver again (during training), ask.

The only thing I didn't like was doing the oral and checkride the same day. It makes for a long day. TC
Totally agree. Depending on the examiner and how long they like to drag out the oral, it would be nice to do the oral and sim check on separate days, like the airlines do.

As long as you can fire off (with out thinking) the limitations, memory items and the what every panel light means. The oral is nothing. The instructors know that you can not learn EVERYTHING in the two weeks you are there. They are looking to be sure you will be safe.

Seems like most checkrides are based on the instructors instinct on you. If you know your stuff they know fairly soon and might take it easier on you. However if you don't know what simple lights mean or how systems work expect a little more time to be spent w/you.

Goodluck!

I have done type rides at FSI where the oral and ride were on the same day, and a few times I have done the oral the day before the ride. The rides have always been straight forward and pretty much non-events after all of the training.

I have had the FAA observe on a few, but that was because they were checking the examiner. That isn't much fun, but not really a big deal.

The worst type ride I had was with a FSI rent-a-SIC in the right seat. That guy was more trouble than help, but I survived.

I only know two pilots that have failed a FSI type rating (for the G-5). They didn't do a proper after start flow and doomed themselves later in the ride with a switch in the wrong position. Otherwise, I think FSI types are pretty much a gimmie compaired to an airline ride.

I'd also let FSI know that they can have another client be the guinea pig for their Instructor FAA ride-alongs...Im not doing it.

and really, you must have a serious learning disability if you fail a type ride at a sim center. I have heard of a few who have, but they were candidates that may have been there for the wrong reason....in other words.... "we cant fire them." having seen the level of people who walk out as PIC TYPE RATED, it frightens me to think of what it takes to actually FAIL.

anyhow..

Dont forget, your employer is paying a lot of money for you to come out rated and qualified.

Most of my ground portions over the last few years have been under 60mins and very straightforward...as they should be.

Good Luck.

FSI checklists suck. If your prospective employer, or current if thats who's giving you the training has their own, bring it.

Hint on Falcons, the systems are color coded on the overhead panel.

Remember the cockpit poster is a resource. When you blank on the oil temp limit, look at the poster!

In my experience with FSI Toledo, TEB, and Wilmington, you have to have multiple problems during more than one check ride to fail. I've been in the SIM with guys where the TCE will say, "OK, this is training." Try it once, on ya go.

You didn't specify 91 or 135. Usually, 91 is progressive.

Last thing, during a good check ride, it is REALLY quiet. They can only give you one problem at a time. You can compound them if you do something wrong, so focus on the current problem. Use the autopilot and FD unless the tell you not to.

The biggest problem I've seen is messing up the hold entry after the go around.

Last, I always tell the co-pilot, whether its a company guy or the FSI guy, "Back me up on everying, if you see me doing something wrong, tell me." Its about CRM also.

Good luck!

Latest resources

Back