Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Dinger

due for recurrent.
Down in Tucson for a good part of the month. Does anyone have any recommendations for good food or something to do on my ONE day off during initial?

If anyone finds themselves down here between now and the 21st, PM me and we'll grab an adult beverage.

There's a great new place on the north end of town. On Campbell and SKyline called, "North", there's also a "Ra" sushi, and "Fleming's" steakhouse in the same shopping center. Good food and lots of "eye candy".

The problem with Tucson is the airport (and FSI) is located in the ghetto.

If you really like airplanes go to the Pima Air & Space Museum. Plus if Davis Monthan (sp.?) is having their open bone yard tour that is also really neat.

El Charro is the classic Tucson restaurant. It's downtown. I would agree that pretty much everything around FSI and the airport is lousy.

Pima Air Museum is a good suggestion. Karcher Caverns is worth checking out on your day off, if you don't mind taking a drive (it's about an hour and a half southeast).

cafe poca cosa - It is now in my list of top ten restaurants anywhere. no menu, they write it on a chalkboard 2 x per day. everything is good, but order the chef's choice ($19.95)(he picks 3 items to put on your plate.) and they have excellent margarita's!
the instructors at Flight safety will know the address, as they just moved to a bigger place. Get reservations or arrive early.

Also, you can't go wrong going to Lil' Abners for a steak. It is just a long drive out there.

We're talkin' home town here.

Hope you have a car. Quick lunch spot near the University at Broadway and Campbell- Lerua's Mexican. About 15 minutes north of the airport. Make sure to have the green corn tamale.

Can't argue with El Charro. OK Corral steaks on far east Tanque Verde. They were grilling with mesquite before anybody else knew what mesquite was.

Dakota Cafe in Trail Dust Town on Tanque Verde restaurant row.

Many bars and restaurants near the University if you are a creepy old man checking out the co-ed eye candy (ah, memories).

Karchner Caverns is awesome but you have to make reservations well in advance. If you are by yourself, try calling anyway cause you might be able to get in. It's about an hour south east of town off I-10. If you want a great hike, Sabino Canyon is very nice this time of year. Take plenty of water and sunscreen, maybe a lunch. You have to park at the visitor's center and ride the tram. Look for Seven Falls...long hike but worth it (take a towel--usually good swimming although it's been very dry this year). Pima Air Museum is a great stop for aiplane geeks like me. They have a Titan II silo from the Cold War about 30 minutes south near Green Valley that is a part of the museum. Art colony of Tubac is also near Green Valley if that's your thing. Lots of golf too if you can afford it. Ventana Canyon and La Paloma north and east. Lots of new high-dollar ones that have been built since I left town. Randolph Park mid-town is the municipal that used to be the PGA and LPGA tour stop...make sure to play the North Course-if you can get on.

Lots of new stuff in town but those are some of my old favorites. Have a great time and be thankful you're going to school now and not July.....

My two favorite teams are the Wildcats and whoever is playing ASU. Bear Down!

Last edited:
gutshotdraw said:
My two favorite teams are the Wildcats and whoever is playing ASU. Bear Down!
Amen brother!

Ah.....fond memories of getting kicked out of the Green Dolphin:beer: .

The Stumble Inn....er out. Wasn't a frat rat but Dirtbags was always a hoot. Don't forget Burger Monday at the Wildcat House. Or the Stray Cat before the scumbag owners burned it down for the insurance.

During a month long visit to Bombardier a few years ago, I enjoyed both of the Randolph golf courses. North course preferred. And the PIMA museum is a must for serious airplane nuts. That's where you buy your ticket and board the Bus for the boneyard tour too. Easy to spend the whole day. Titan missile museum was interesting too. It's an old missile silo site with tours guided by former missile crewman. That's a little way down the road to Nogales. If you like short track stock car racing, Tucson raceway park was good saturday night fun. The airport area IS a drag. The good places for food, spirit and fun are all some distance away. Morning traffic is worse than you might imagine, so plan on arriving to FSI a little early. Tucson is better than most training destinations. Enjoy your stay.

Best,

Latest resources

Back