• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Frustrated

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
People still complaining about having to go to college to get an airline job? You mean this horse isn't dead yet?

Everything else aside, don't forget that medical certification can be a very fragile thing. You can be coasting along just fine and then, bam, something horrible happens and your medical goes out the window. No more flying. Having a college degree in something non-flying related makes for a great parachute if for some reason you can't fly later.

Life isn't fair. All of us would love to have gotten into the cockpit without doing any hard work, but we knuckled down and got our degrees and got the jobs because that's what we wanted. That's life. Hey, if you couldn't become an airline pilot without training in hula dancing, we'd all have been out there in grass skirts shaking our as_es.

If you don't finish school you will fly small airplanes, nail ugly women, live in a van down by the river and eat government cheese. I'm being sarcastic but the truth hurts, also love my Kelowna BC layovers, beautiful women and they only talk to pilots with degrees because they are the ones who can afford their drinks.Even you Canadians need education, crazy I know.

Adam,

I really don't care to weigh in on the college debate but I feel compelled to repeat a great point Typhoon1244 made. IF you go the college route seriously consider a degree in something that interests you in a field other than aviation. You will be a wise man to always have a "plan B" up your sleeve should you loose your medical or ... You fill in the blank. Read some of the posts on this board and you will quickly see that aviation is a tough mistress to be in love with. Make a "Plan B" and you will be able to ride out the storms of life. Whatever you do, I wish you luck.

KlingonLRDRVR

In response to the free flight training issue...

There really is no catch. There are only 3 programs like that in all Canada I believe, and they are all located in Ontario. I may be wrong, but I believe you may have to be a resident of the province of Ontario to attend. Again, if you are reading this Adam, I may be wrong. You would have to contact the schools.

Also, those programs weed people out fairly quickly. For instance, at the Sault and Confed program you have to maintain a certain average in order to stay in the program. At the Toronto school, only the top 30 or so students academically get admitted into the flight training, which means many students (I believe 130-140 students are accepted in first year, and only 30 or so can get the flight training) lose a year if they don't meet the standards.

These issues are really not a big problem because if you work hard, you will likely make the cut.

These programs have been around pretty long. The flight training (the hours and the instruction) are subsidized, and the students only have to pay for college tuition and books, along with the medical and flight test rides. But the most expensive part is covered!

The reason I chose not to attend one of those colleges was because I wanted a degree, focused in business. Those programs do not offer a degree, but there's nothing stopping students from transferring to a University afterwards.

I wish more schools operated like this... but then again, I don't think most provincial or state governments would be keen about subsidizing such programs. If you ask me, I'm surprised they still subsidized!

On the subject of "free" flight training

Adam, if you speak French, there is also a program like that at the "Cégep de Chicoutimi" in the Québec province.

The particulars seem to be the same as Chris mentionned for the Ontario schools : 3 years post-secondary education but obviously not a 4-year university degree. However, available slots are few (40 students a year) and most candidates graduate at the end (an average of 32 students a year).

As I would expect is the case with the other schools in Ontario, graduates are a known quantity for many operators throughout the province, and a Chicoutimi diploma often opens doors to people with very little time. I would not discount this advantage, which I consider to be HUGE by the way. However, many new pilots fall in the trap of not getting that university degree afterwards, which is really a shame if you ask me. Plus, I agree wholeheartedly with bobbysamd : not doing your degree right after high school is not a practical solution. In my experience (from looking at most of my pilot buddies at the local airport), not doing it now pretty much means you won't do it. Obviously 4 years with 5 classes per semester is not easy, but how difficult or long do you think it will be in a couple of years down the road to attend 2 or 3 night classes per semester for 8 years while keeping a flying job (if possible at all)?

I know where you're at and I know how you feel, but try to let some of the advice on this board sink in. A lot has been said on this thread; read it back, see if it makes more sense the second time around. If you really have your sights set on Air Canada (or Westjet, Air Transat, or the others), remember that military pilots will always be given preferential consideration for hiring. If you're willing to discount that, you are obviously entitled to, but remember that you now fall in the second category of suppy, which is civilian-trained pilots. If you don't play tennis with the Chief pilot or your dad is not an Air Canada pilot, a 4-year degree and/or more then one language spoken will definately "squawk ident" you to HR personnel (sorry, couldn't resist saying that! ;) ). In the end, everybody knows how to fly, but what will you have on your resume to rival the thousands of pilots that want the same job that you do?

Best of luck with your decision!

Latest resources

Back