Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

From the C-17 to the airliners or fractionals...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Soaring

From the C-17 to the airliners...

Just throwing this out here... Disregard if you are not interested in this post. I know there are a lot of ex-C-17 and current C-17 pilots out there who fly for the airlines and fractionals, etc. when they were hiring.

I am not a military pilot but I am a big fan of the C-17. Beautiful airplane with a very capable cockpit. Looks like it would be fun to fly. Just wondering what the transition is like for C-17 pilots as they go from that aircraft flying worldwide (dirt strips and all) to flying 737s and Airbus aircraft. Is it anti-climatic after flying the C-17 or does it not really matter? Going from flying that stick on the C-17 into some hostile territory at night to flying 737s into DEN and PHL has got to be a let-down... At least you could continue to fly the C-17 in the reserves if you really want to.

Any thoughts or impressions about the transition? If you don't fly in the reserves do you miss the C-17?

Last edited:
At some point it's all about the $ and lifestyle! If you want to have fun in an airplane then you buy or rent something like a Pitts or Extra.

...neither of which can be found in the civilian sector anymore save SW, FDX, and UPS.:(

PHXFLYR:cool:

Being a fractional guy and a Reserve C17 guy, the only transition I notice is that I don't have to do 24 hour days when I'm not flying for Uncle Sam. I just returned from a two-week overseas/downrange trip, and it's gonna take a week for my body to recover. Other than those long days that come with flying the C-17, the plane itself is great. Over-powered, and drives like a sport-car (for a big airplane). One of the previous posts mentioned QOL and $$$. And that's why the UAVs are starting to become more and more appealing to guys.

Being a fractional guy and a Reserve C17 guy, the only transition I notice is that I don't have to do 24 hour days when I'm not flying for Uncle Sam. I just returned from a two-week overseas/downrange trip, and it's gonna take a week for my body to recover. Other than those long days that come with flying the C-17, the plane itself is great. Over-powered, and drives like a sport-car (for a big airplane). One of the previous posts mentioned QOL and $$$. And that's why the UAVs are starting to become more and more appealing to guys.

Concur. They may not be as glamorous as flying something pointy nose, but there's a lot to be said for doing the same mission, killing insurgents, and going home to your wife/kids/dog/home everyday.

Latest resources

Back