From Fractional to a Major?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My god!

I've been reading posts on this message board for a few months now and I just can't believe all pilots are this friggin immature!! I posted something because I wanted to hear all opinions and why people thought the way they did. I can form my own opinions about their motivations. I didn't intend, nor do most of us, to offend or belittle our fellow pilots (major, fractional, regional, fractional, student, freight dog, or otherwise) in ANY way! But some of you go out of your way to be hostile and are obsessed with the "game". I don't believe there are pilot positions which are "top of the game" and those at the bottom. Not everyone wants to work for a major...some people being flight instructors or flying 135 freight in all weather. It all depends on what's important to you in life and what your options are. Some of you forget that and also forget what it was like to have only a few options. No wonder pilots can't get along with management at most companies and the public hates our unions...the outspopken ones act like children!!!

Just a thought...

furlough-boy said:
I've been to the big show and flown the heavy iron for the majors,

Saddly, I think the show is over for thousands of folks.

Keep trying, maybe someday you'll make it too.

I guess time will tell.:)

I believe I fell for some flame bait, furlough boy got tired of kicking his dog.

Given the current business environ and the attitude of the average American regarding the airlines and the transportation unions, the fractionals may be the placae to stay.

I was told at a Riddle-Airline convention three Novembers ago, that airlines especially want pilots with fractional experience.

I'd take anything from Riddle or any Riddle sponsored event with a grain of salt.

jppt2000 said:

I was told at a Riddle-Airline convention three Novembers ago, that airlines especially want pilots with fractional experience.

What exactly is a "Riddle-Airline convention"? Are you talking about the ERAU career expo?

I do think it is humorous for pilots who have NEVER flown 121 to tell pilots who HAVE flown 121 that fractional experience better prepares someone for the majors.

This being based on their assumtions about 121. As opposed to the regional pilot's FIRST HAND knowledge.

Some of these guys need to get over their egos.

A sharp pilot is a sharp pilot, no matter what their background.

Therefore, I am now entitled to think that the wealth of CFI time that I have in all kinds of piston singles make me more marketable to the majors. After all, those frac guys ONLY fly three or four types before moving on, right? See? I have more experience checking out in a new type. To he!! with all that jet time they have. Variety is FAR more important!

:rolleyes:

100LL... Again! said:
I do think it is humorous for pilots who have NEVER flown 121 to tell pilots who HAVE flown 121 that fractional experience better prepares someone for the majors.

This being based on their assumtions about 121. As opposed to the regional pilot's FIRST HAND knowledge.

Some of these guys need to get over their egos.

A sharp pilot is a sharp pilot, no matter what their background.

Easy Francis.................................,

I did fly 121, whoo hoo, big deal!

Never said I was better than anyone else.
In fact I agree with you, you get alot of varied experience flying at a fractional.

;)

I'm sorry thst you got the impression that the post in question irritated me.

It didn't. That's why I said it was humorous. :rolleyes:

To quote:
--------------------------
I did fly 121, whoo hoo, big deal!
--------------------------

That is exactly my point. A sharp pilot is a sharp pilot. There is no reason a very sharp 1500 hr CFI could not go directly to a major and perform as well or better than more experienced members of their newhire group. Background means very little (IMNSHO).

Thanks for agreeing. ;)

IMO, hiring based on hours and type of flying background is a very blunt instrument. It may be the best we can do (in my view we could do better), but it is still a very coarse and inaccurate method.

100LL... Again! said:
... Background means very little (IMNSHO)...

IMO, hiring based on hours and type of flying background is a very blunt instrument. It may be the best we can do (in my view we could do better), but it is still a very coarse and inaccurate method.

Judgement comes from experience, experience accrues over time... it's more than about physical skills.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back