From Fractional to a Major?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

vtchaz

I was just wondering if anyone ever switches from Fractionals to a Major airline? The same way a Regional Pilot might switch to a major? I'm not implying that the Fractionals are a place you don't want to be...as a matter of fact they sound more and more like where I'd like to be...however I do want to leave my options open for later. Does anyone know how Majors (especially FedEx and UPS) view Fractional flying as opposed to 121? Thanks to anyone who responds.

Between 1997 and 2001, several hundred pilots left the Fractional industry for some type of 121 operation. The Fractional busniess hires quality pilots and provides excellent experience. The Fractional are a good place to be if a 121 job is your goal.

That is the good news. The sad news is that most pilot who left the Fractional for a 121 job are now at home on furlough wishing they were still with a Fractional. Notice I did not say all. Those who joined SW, FedEx, UPS, and some of the others, including regionals are still working.

Thanks Grim...that's just what I wanted to know...that the 121 majors like the fractional guys and gals. I know it's definitely the style of flying and quality of life I'd love and want, but I also wanted to know that I'd still be able to do the 121 thing later if I so choose. Thanks!

Absolutely man.
I've been at NJA for almost 3 years. Before 9/11 there were tons of pilots leaving for the majors. I moved up the seniority list really fast. You're looked at just as highly here as at a regional. And you'll probably be flying as a jet PIC here much quicker than at a regional, although your total time probably won't add up as quick.. just a little info.

Your time won't add up as quick if you decide to go to the x and sit around on your butt all day going to sultan's kitchen trying not to get released.

Now for those of us that work, the time adds up quicker than the regionals. Plus you are getting PIC time if you want right out of the box.

Problem is nobody is hiring so there really is no rush.

When the hiring starts hapening again you are going to an interview with our type of background is a big step up. The typical regional pilot goes to the same places. You will have been to ASE, EGL, JAC, JFK, TEB, PBI, SRQ, PHX, and some others that you couldn't even pronounce and all they had was a GPS aproach. This was all in one tour.

Sure beats doing IAD-EWR 5 times a day.

I don't agree

"When the hiring starts hapening again you are going to an interview with our type of background is a big step up"

Not to pick a fight, but I have to disagree with you there. The majors fly to the same places over and over again just like the regionals, why would they be impressed that you flew into every podunk uncontrolled field in North America?

Re: I don't agree

furlough-boy said:
Not to pick a fight, but I have to disagree with you there. The majors fly to the same places over and over again just like the regionals, why would they be impressed that you flew into every podunk uncontrolled field in North America?

For the same reason they prefer a 4 year degree, it makes you a more rounded person! A 4 year degree has as much to do with flying an airplane as having flown into Podunk, KS! But what it does tell management is that you have handled some situations that are not normal in day to day 121 operations, and come out OK.

I think I have to agree with Furlough here. I don't think that fractional flying is going to make you more competitive than someone already flying Part 121 (Regional, National, Major) or otherwise.

I think that which ever route you decide to go. Both are looked at equally by the Majors. I have friends that have flown both Fractional and Regional, and both have been picked up at Major Airlines. It all depends on the kind of flying your interested in doing.

Re: I don't agree

furlough-boy said:
"When the hiring starts hapening again you are going to an interview with our type of background is a big step up"

You will have been to ASE, EGL, JAC, JFK, TEB, PBI, SRQ, PHX, and some others that you couldn't even pronounce and all they had was a GPS aproach. This was all in one tour.

Yup, those are podunk places, sure.

I was told at a Riddle-Airline convention three Novembers ago, that airlines especially want pilots with fractional experience.
UAL, DAL, AMR, and NWAC captains that sat on interview boards all said they thought it was a plus to have fractional jet experience.

Hmmmm, I remember they said, fractional pilots are responsible for everything, and getting it all done on time. (catering, cleaning, bags, pax briefing, oh yeah, I forgot, telling the pax (owners) what's the real reason for the delay)

Two of these captains told me the "121 time" is commonly mistaken as "golden". They said, that's why we have basic indoc. groundschool.

To me furlough-boy, it shows how misinformed you are.

PS, is there gonna be the kind of job you left still waiting for you in a few years?

How could I ever argue with what you "heard" three novembers ago? I've been to the big show and flown the heavy iron for the majors, plus I've flown corporate. You can get upset and attack how "misinformed" I am, but I still believe that neither fractional or regional guys have a large advantage over one another.

The fractional guy might have the experience of getting it "all" done, but that's not how a major airline runs. A regional pilot comes with the experience of working with a crew larger than two pilots. He's used to working with Mx Controll, Ramp Control, Catering, and all the different groups. It's being able to work in the same team environment that makes the regional guys "shine".

Keep trying, maybe someday you'll make it too.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back