• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

From Doug Parker

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Except that AWA did get the loan and avoided BK. Where as USAir was in their second BK and about to liquidate. Big differenced. Would have AWA survived? Maybe/Most likely. However USAir would not have. Big difference.

Just my opinion.....

FNG

Not arguing that, but AWA would have been in worse shape then Frontier. Bottomline is that both companies needed each other.

Let's go back in time.

Both need each other, now all we have to do is merge the list.

East: Date of hire
Nic: You won't get date of hire, give me an alternative
East: Okay, so date of hire it is. Now, who wants Jello? And the rest is history...

Henry was instrumental in helping America West receive a

government loan guarantee after 9/11. He aggressively supported
our application with members of the Federal Reserve and the
Treasury department, bringing the full support of GE to our
cause. I am certain that without Henry’s hard work,
America West would not have received a loan guarantee and
without that guarantee, America West would not have survived.

A little reality check for the AWA folks who thought they were flying for a growing, prosperous company that was in much better off the USAIR.

M

DAMN! I feel so lucky to be at Delta Air Lines. Yes, some of the junior NWA guys got hosed over on the SLI, but ours is a tea party compared to what you guys have going on at US.

The best thing I have learned since I have come back from a 5 year furlough is this:

THE AIRLINES ARE NOT HERE FOR OUR BENEFIT!

The sooner we all figure this out the better off we are all going to be. DP doesn't care about pilots, nor does Richard Anderson. It's all about the bottom line. Pesky infighting does nothing to serve our careers in the long run.

Good luck to all involved. This debate is getting a little old. Hopefully the latest news will bring everyone to the table. Can you guys rent Camp David for the weekend or something? A little group therapy is in order I think.

A little reality check for the AWA folks who thought they were flying for a growing, prosperous company that was in much better off the USAIR.

M
McFly? Hello McFly? The loan guarantee Parker is talking about was shortly after 9/11, and was completed three years before the merger happened!! AWA was the first to ask for the loan guarantee after 9/11, and those loans were paid off quicker than required. They didn't get any money from the government - it was simply a guarantee to the lenders made in a difficult time for the airlines that said the loan would be repaid even if AWA went under. By the time the merger happened AWA was a growing, prosperous company! Lenders were happy to deal with AWA because Parker had proven he knew how to run an airline, and how to handle money. By the same token, USAirways was less than a month from folding, because they had very little cash left, an nobody else was going to loan them money because of their inability to run a profitable airline. Because of Parker's good reputation, lenders were able to work the deal to buy USAirways where nobody else could. Of course AWA didn't 'buy' US themselves - no corporation does that without using money from lenders. But that money wouldn't have been there if AWA hadn't already proven that it was a good airline, run by people who knew how to make a profit.

HAL

Latest resources

Back