From Cargo Direct to the Majors

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AA717driver said:
If someone can handle single pilot freight, they can certainly handle airline stuff.

TWA had numerous single pilot, piston twin freight pilots.TC

What year are you talking about there 717? (The 70's don't count :) ) I have a buddy from the freight days that was the son of a 25 year TWA pilot, and he still couldn't get on with only piston freight time. These guys that did it have a picture of the CP in bed with a goat or something?

To FNFAL,

I believe the original poster asked the question regarding time and experience. Caravan time only will not carry you far. I bet your two guys have a little more than that in their log book to take them to SWA. But you are correct, I have a buddy that went directly from flight instructing in a 172 to F/O on a 747-400..........it sounds really impressive until you find out he was a furloughed guy. You sure your boys are not in a similar situation?

However given that many things can happen I do not doubt that a few do make it. All I am saying is that it is very uncommon and not the best way to try to make it to a major.

EDIT FOR CLARITY:

I am talking Single pilot, single engine turbine (Caravan) here. Ameriflight types with 1900 SP time would have a much better shot.

Last edited:
AA717driver said:
If someone can handle single pilot freight, they can certainly handle airline stuff.

TWA had numerous single pilot, piston twin freight pilots.TC
I hear ya, it's who you can get to walk your resume in.

Before 9/11, I had a partnership with a couple of pilots on a twin cessna. One of those guys made it through two interviews and got to do the 747 sim evaluation over at NATCO for Northwest.

His stats were no 121 or 135 time. He couldn't have had more than 2,500 total time, and his multi total was around 500...mostly piston twin. Any of the few turbine hours he logged was a result of being allowed to fly left seat on empty legs in a king air 90 that was a corporate bird, and no college degree.

His 747 sim eval sucked, so he didn't get the job...but he did get that far.

KeroseneSnorter said:
To FNFAL,

I believe the original poster asked the question regarding time and experience. Caravan time only will not carry you far. I bet your two guys have a little more than that in their log book to take them to SWA. But you are correct, I have a buddy that went directly from flight instructing in a 172 to F/O on a 747-400..........it sounds really impressive until you find out he was a furloughed guy. You sure your boys are not in a similar situation?

However given that many things can happen I do not doubt that a few do make it. All I am saying is that it is very uncommon and not the best way to try to make it to a major.
Not furloughed. Ex-millitary.

One spent 19 years flying the P-3 Orion for the Navy as aircraft commander. Three bachelor degrees, two master degrees and a teaching certificate. He's been flying Caravans with me since BEFORE 9/11. I suppose all that four engine heavy turbo-prop time wasn't good enough for the airlines...so they made him come over to the feeders to get polished up real good on his flying skills. His brother is a training captain at FedEx, so FedEx made him go buy his type rating in the 737 so he could go get that SWA job. Funny how that works.

The other one was a turbo-prop canadian military guy with some rotary wing time. He flew some two engine turbo-prop patrol plane for the canadians. Came over here, became a citizen, flew caravans as a grunt...then they made him become a CHIEF PILOT of the 135 caravan place before he got polished up enough to get into FedEx.

KeroseneSnorter said:
EDIT FOR CLARITY:

I am talking Single pilot, single engine turbine (Caravan) here. Ameriflight types with 1900 SP time would have a much better shot.
I hear ya hoss!

We are probably getting at least two of the converted ATR-42's and a 121 certificate by next year.

Around the late 80's I knew 2 guys that came straight from single pilot
freight to AA. On was flying Barons, the other Aerostars.
Of course there was a big hiring boom going on at the time.

Latest resources

Back