From Cargo Direct to the Majors

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cookmg

I'm curious as to how likely it may be to get a job with a major or national without multi-crew, 121, turbine PIC time? Are pilots with single pilot, 135, over 12,500 lbs, turbine PIC often considered by the biggest airlines? What if they had a solid internal reference? It seems that the majors would want guys with the experience most similar to their operations. However, it's hard to argue that the cargo pilot would not have many great skills to offer as well.

Just curious.

Thanks.

cookmg said:
I'm curious as to how likely it may be to get a job with a major or national without multi-crew, 121, turbine PIC time? Are pilots with single pilot, 135, over 12,500 lbs, turbine PIC often considered by the biggest airlines? What if they had a solid internal reference? It seems that the majors would want guys with the experience most similar to their operations. However, it's hard to argue that the cargo pilot would not have many great skills to offer as well.

Just curious.

Thanks.
I know of no one that went from 135 single pilot directly to a major. Not saying it can't happen, but I have never seen it.

Lots of cargo only guys at the majors but they were 121 on 727's or what not.

The only single pilot guys that I can remember going directly to a major are fighter jocks.

It happens. I've seen guys leave Ameriflight having flown Metros or Beech 1900's and going to SWA, AWA and Alaska. It doesn't happen very often, but it does happen. Your "safest" bet if there is such a thing is to go through through regionals.

Its happening right now. There's two guys in my AWA new hire class, one flew charter in a King Air, the other flew corporate jets. Both were 135.

Direct to majors

USA Jet has had DA-20 Captains go direct to the majors, of course this was back when the majors were hiring.

KeroseneSnorter said:
I know of no one that went from 135 single pilot directly to a major. Not saying it can't happen, but I have never seen it.

Lots of cargo only guys at the majors but they were 121 on 727's or what not.

The only single pilot guys that I can remember going directly to a major are fighter jocks.
That's simply not true. We have a caravan pilot that will be going over to SWA and our Chief pilot went to FedEx and is now a DC-10 FO.

FN FAL said:
That's simply not true. We have a caravan pilot that will be going over to SWA and our Chief pilot went to FedEx and is now a DC-10 FO.
I never said it didn't happen, All I said was that I did not know anybody that did.

I would say that it is rare when looked at industry wide. Regional or 121 freight is the better option when hunting a major.

Also I would be really surprised if that Caravan pilot ONLY had Caravan time as his PIC qualifications. Simply put, single engine turbo-prop does not impress many companies that fly large jets, especially a drag a$$ Caravan.

Last edited:
"I know of no one that went from 135 single pilot directly to a major. Not saying it can't happen, but I have never seen it."
Also I would be really surprised if that Caravan pilot ONLY had Caravan time as his PIC qualifications. Simply put, single engine turbo-prop does not impress many companies that fly large jets, especially a drag a$$ Caravan.
Cargo directly to a major...is the title of the thread. I know two.

If someone can handle single pilot freight, they can certainly handle airline stuff.

TWA had numerous single pilot, piston twin freight pilots.TC

Latest resources

Back