Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flt1ncu

Fatigue Risk Management Plan (FRMP)

For those dispatchers currently employed by airlines that have adopted the FRMP into their OPSPECS, are the dispatchers included? I know one airline that is under the impression that it only applies to pilots. Based on the following verbiage below which is from that airlines OPSPECS, I disagree.

Fatigue risk management is a continuous improvement process that identifies, assesses and mitigates the risk of fatigue by guiding organizational and/or policy change and fatigue risk management promotion through training and communication. A comprehensive XYZ FRMP collects and analyzes fatigue data to proactively manage fatigue threats and ensures unacceptable risks are mitigated. Fatigue training is incorporated into annual training for all crewmembers, crew schedulers/crew resource personnel, dispatchers and operational decision-makers. The XYZ FRMP has been approved by the FAA. The FRMP scheduling limits are representative of the XYZ/XYZ Collective Bargaining Agreement. The global, 24 hour nature of operations including backside-of-the-clock flying, flights crossing multiple time zones and the range associated with modern aircraft can create challenges for air carriers and crews in managing rest. Therefore, it is imperative that XYZ Flight Operations personnel proactively manage alertness and mitigate fatigue.

My point is, after a company adopts the FRMP the scheduling practice of keeping it legal and contractual may not be in compliance with the FRMP.
With the large volume of scientific evidence regarding sleep debt and multiple circadian rhythm flips, is it safe to have dispatchers exercising operational control of flights fatigued?

I am speaking about scheduling practices that do not provide adequate rest and/or build significant sleep debt throughout the week, not not self induced trades or overtime scenarios.

That's right...we are uneducated, too stupid for real jobs, hence why we are dispatchers! But that is called sarcasm, and I was hoping you would sense it, because I was laying it on pretty thick!

Yes, at my airline, a 121 Supplemental carrier, we went through FRMP training with the dispatchers, even though I am an OCC Duty Manager. It was the most boring 4 hour class EVER!

What you see here is the classic case of the FAA hyperventilating on Congress' orders in the wake of the Colgan 3407 crash in 2009.

1) Raise the minimums for pilots from 250 hours to 1500 to receive commercial pilots licenses. Then when the airlines start complaining that they have a shortage of pilots, Who is to blame?

2) It' a Catch-22 really. If you play the rules, don't bring attention to you (certificate-wise), you do'll fine, but you'll be stagnate, if not a loss leader. But if you cut corners, to save a buck, to bring more profit, you bring scrutiny from the Feds, but your company grows. Case point: Colgan (prior to 3407).

Latest resources

Back