• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Friday Afternoon Breaking News- Dallas

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This thread has gotten outta control. Which is o.k. if you like that sort of thing.....

But instead of playing the woulda, shoulda game I'd like to look at the ramifications of the proposed changes.

How does the elimination of Wright restrictions change the landscape???

I think it will result in much less of a problem for AA than the DFW machine would have you believe. On the positive side a deal will finally lift the veil of uncertainty that pervades the metroplex on this issue. This alone will firm up any carrier's plans to operate out of DFW, IMHO. DFW will probably PERMANENTLY lower rents or make other deals in response. While AA and DFW hate any competition whatsoever, it is not the end of the world as they predict. The economy is booming and so are AA and DFW.

Great NASCAR race today. #11 FDX team brought home the win with a rookie driver. Great team effort, great competitors, great victory. You have to admire NASCAR officiating. They don't get it right all the time, but they sure do act out of an abundance of regard for good competition. They want the race to go "clean and green" and the fans to get a great show.

Wonder what it would be like if SWA had a team? I would be concerned for the races at Texas Motor Speedway. I don't think the Dallas political folks would care to much to find out that every car was so stringently required to be the same. That sort of competition is a burden they would like to see spared SWA. So I'm guessing they would award SWA the pole before qualifying by requiring every other team's car to start 50 or so laps down. SWA would get no post race inspection and I'm sure they would not have a pit road speed limit. So the only fans that are going to be excited about this race are the SWA types. But of course they really aren't "fans" cause this aint a "race" when there is no pairity. You would not necessarily have to be a rival to the SWA team to be disgusted, if your a race fan, you would miss the competition.

IMHO, bad race politics in Dallas would not only bad for this race, but for the entire series and for all of NASCAR. It spoils the whole industry so to speak.

This of course, is just a theory.

arthompson said:
How do you figure SWA didn't start it? When DFW opened and all carriers were forced to move to DFW, SWA insisted that they were allowed to stay at Love. Now I agree that Wright is wrong, but not for the same reasons you guys seem too. It's wrong because Congress should never have been used by a member of the House to control something in his district that should have been handled by the CAB (for a few years after dereg they had the authority to deny routes from certain airports). Now I also believe that lifting the wright law will harm DFW, because any airline that needs better access to downtown Dallas will move to DAL. However it must also be realized that Wright is *NOT* an infringement on interstate commerce. To quote HK on the Wright Law "Sure it's a pain in the a$$, but not every pain in the A$$ is a constitutial infringement"

You might want to do some research before you start out with the "facts"
Southwest was not even operating when the other carriers signed agreements to move to DFW.

arthompson said:
How do you figure SWA didn't start it? When DFW opened and all carriers were forced to move to DFW, SWA insisted that they were allowed to stay at Love. Now I agree that Wright is wrong, but not for the same reasons you guys seem too. It's wrong because Congress should never have been used by a member of the House to control something in his district that should have been handled by the CAB (for a few years after dereg they had the authority to deny routes from certain airports). Now I also believe that lifting the wright law will harm DFW, because any airline that needs better access to downtown Dallas will move to DAL. However it must also be realized that Wright is *NOT* an infringement on interstate commerce. To quote HK on the Wright Law "Sure it's a pain in the a$$, but not every pain in the A$$ is a constitutial infringement"

The CAB didn't have any rights to limit intra-state commerce, which was all Southwest had at the time. It could only put restictions on flights that left the state, therefore it took a congressional act (hence the Wright Ammendment) to try and stop Southwest.

Flopgut said:
Edited....And people wonder why I bring up Braniff all the time! Same story, different decade.

So if getting sold off to the highest non US bidder doesn't kill off the legacies, SWA stabbing them in the back will.

How do you SWA types even look at yourselves in the mirror?

Wright was in place to allow DFW to thrive. If you can't make your company thrive after 30 years then it's time to fold and go away.

Monopolies are against this country's morals. Suck it up or pack it up.

Flopgut said:
Wonder what it would be like if SWA had a team?

As usual we would have to pay full price for all the car parts, entry fees, use of the track while some others would be able to pay only pennies on the dollar. Then some others would say they can't afford their car, so the government would step in and buy them new cars. Sound about right?

Flopgut said:
No one had a real problem with SWA until they pulled the Love Field stunt. Braniff then decided to stay too and match SWA on every flight and crush you. Braniff was forced to leave, which is exactly what seems to be a possibility now with AA.

If Braniff had not been forced to leave Love Field...Or to be more correct...if ANY other airline had been allowed to stay at Love Field, there would be no SWA. You, along with a lot more us, would still have a good careers, just with another airline

Yes, except that Braniff and Tx Intl and CO all signed the agreement to move to DFW before SWA was in business. SWA didn't pull a stunt, they were not in on the agreement because the above mentioned airlines were trying to keep them from ever getting off the ground in the first place. Then I suppose they incorrectly assumed that SWA would never make it so they didn't make them sign an agreement.

And I guess AA didn't feel the need to offer that 'premium' all first class non-stop service to LAX, LGA, and ORD once they ran Legend into the ground. Of course, Legend was such a huge threat to the AA business model - puleeeze.

DH2WN said:
Wright was in place to allow DFW to thrive. If you can't make your company thrive after 30 years then it's time to fold and go away.

Monopolies are against this country's morals. Suck it up or pack it up.

Good advice for SWA. If YOU cant compete in earnest after 30 years and go to DFW, or if you have to have your competition removed from your airport AGAIN after 30 years, YOU should be forced to fold up.

Last edited:
canyonblue said:
As usual we would have to pay full price for all the car parts, entry fees, use of the track while some others would be able to pay only pennies on the dollar. Then some others would say they can't afford their car, so the government would step in and buy them new cars. Sound about right?

Your position is indefensible.

BTW; your statement above makes absolutely no sense at all. If you cant wrap your brain around the NASCAR analogy, Ill try another. Your better off not trying to defend your airline on this one though my friend.

Flopgut said:
Your better off not trying to defend your airline on this one though my friend.

Flop, you are in the clear minority here. It is you who is best not to defend your side.

Latest resources

Back