• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Freight, Part 91, Regional to learn WX

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ah.....Now that we have gotten the smart ass reply out of the way may we get back to the original question?

RT

Probably the best way is to go instruct some instrument students for a while. You really do learn alot by teaching. I know this wasn't one of the choices you listed, but in my opinion it's the best way. You don't want to do too much learning while you are flying freight. You want to have a good idea of what is going on by that point. In most cases you are all by yourself and you are the one that makes all decisions. One bad decision could cost quite a bit of money or even your life.

If you do go the part 91, corporate I would assume, or part 121 you could get lucky and get a captain with lots of great experience that enjoys sharing what he/she's learned with you. You can learn quite a bit from these pilots, but know that not all pilots are like this. Again they do expect that you have some knowledge of weather when you are hired at any of these types of places.

I figure that I will be teaching for at least a couple of years full time and then after that part time if time allows. I was thinking long term here. It wasn't mean to be a debate on whether I was qualified to do these jobs at this point. Thanks for the info.

RT

Instrument instructing

I agree with the above. Take it easy at first. Fly in some soft IFR with your students where you are reasonably assured of completing an approach. Your students will be flying so you can learn first-hand about actual IMC without having to worry too much about flying the airplane. Ideally, the best IMC is in warmer climates where you can fly in warm clouds and avoid icing (you want to avoid icing in any conditions that your airplane can't handle!).

Good idea, too, to stay on the gauges with your student while in actual.

By the time you move on from instructing you will be expected to have experience in the weather in which you will be flying. In other words, real-world experience.

Sorry bro....!

In that case just learn along with your students, don't stop studying, and stay proficient. A couple years of instructing full time should give you plenty of good experience. As long as you have a good understanding of wx theory by the time you are looking for your next job after instructing you should be fine. You will probably get more experience with weather flying cargo or 121 as opposed to 91. This is somewhat general, but many 91 corporate pilots don't fly nearly as much as a freight pilot or regional pilot would in the same time period. Also, a freight pilot isn't as concerned about "bad" wx as much as a regional pilot or corporate pilot might be. After all they are only flying boxes and don't have to worry about passenger comfort. I think it would really depend on what type of flying you would be doing. The more exposure you have, the more you learn.

Anyway, hope this helps.

I would say the best way to learn weather and how to predict it is my flying gliders. You learn alot about the theroy and how to predict it my just knowing a few small parts of the total picture.

You will learn a lot flying as a CFII. It's a good place to start. Cargo is one way, not the smartest way. My first day on the job flying Barons"running checks". The weather was solid thunderstorms with no radar. I scared myself to death. I walked into the office at the end of the day, and my chief pilot asked me, "You do have experience flying in thunderstorms don't you"?
I replied, I do now. I drove home, concerned about how long I might live doing this day after day. I survived and so will you....
Just remember one thing------don't push it too far, and when you do, learn from it and don't do it again...
Good Luck
Falcondriver

Latest resources

Back