Freelance instruction

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
nosehair said:
You are confusing "Commercial Operations" with "Flight Instructing". Being paid for instructing is not a "commercial operation" to the FAA. A commercial operation is carrying a passenger for hire from one point to another. That requires operation under other regulations such as 121 or 135. That is using the commercial privilege of your commercial pilot certificate. Instructing is not using your commercial pilot certificate for commercial operations. You are using your flight instructor certificate to teach aviation knowledge and skill. It is not considered a commercial operation.

Ahhh ok thank you for explaining that. I know the FAA is very 'bland" when it comes to explaining that. Their Advisory Circular on it is only like 3 pages. I had never thought of it like that. I thought teaching someone still constituded "carring persons or property for copensation or hire." I know it says that if you charge yourself out to too many individuals (18-24 have been counted) the FAA can count that as "general known knowledge of being for hire". Thanks for clearing that up for me :D

Latest resources

Back