Freedom to ATL??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

IFLYASA

So I'm going out to my plane this morning and there was this hideous monster of a walkway leading up to aircraft. After questioning the rampers who put it there, I was told it was for a new aircraft that will be coming into ATL. Obviously there are no cabin stairs, hence the reason for the walkway. The EMB-170 was mentioned. Could this be Freedom?? I can't imagine a very nice welcome in the crew lounge.

Freedom is ALPA now. If you need a list of the bad guys PM me. But for the most part Freedom is made up of guys and gals who had no part in what went on way back when....

grog_sit_reserv said:
Freedom is ALPA now. If you need a list of the bad guys PM me. But for the most part Freedom is made up of guys and gals who had no part in what went on way back when....

Freedom will have 4-6 airplanes based in ATL. Not a pilot base thought, at least for now. -bean

So Freedom will be parking a "C", while CHQ still goes to "B". My jumpseater from Delta the other day said that wasn't going over to well at "B".

I was in PHF the other day and the rampers said that freedom is doing MCO-PHF runs for for DCI. He also said that they will start replacing us on the ATL-PHF route sometime in the future.

Is this "monster of a walkway" the same thing we have in SLC? If it is, that is a good thing. They are easier to maneuver than a jetway. Most importantly, is the time savings. My guess is a load of Florida pax on the 700 will be off the airplane 4-5 minutes faster.

They are fixed to the ground and pivot over that point. The bridge to the airplane has about 2-3 feet of adjustability. It gets my two thumbs up. If I recall, I heard "Biscuit" mention that those were the plan for every CRJ Spot in ATL. But that was years and a owner or two ago.

Having a jetway to an RJ is like throwing down a red carpet to a circus side-show. The passengers aren't fooled one bit. In fact they feel insulted by the little ruse and simply pray they don't get wedged next to some smelly overweight vacuum salesman.

As for Freedom,.....you're petty angst with their pilots is pathetic. Get a life, will ya?

I'm not sure, but it was almost too big. It stretched out nearly to the wing of another aircraft. It did allow for a straightback to be utilized. But the other set of stairs seemed more practical.

Mike Boyd wrote in his weekly online column:

"Bottom line: the main pitfall for airports to avoid is building long-term facilities for short-term airliners. The "regional jet" is one such instance.

Latest resources

Back