Freedom isn't Free

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

OldManPilot

This past weekend I had the pleasure to attend the reunion of the 461st Bomb Group from WWII. It was an honor and a privelage to meet and talk with these gentlemen and their wives. To hear them tell their stories of missions and the total comitment to the war effort was truly inspiring. The stories from the wives tell of their working and waiting to see their husbands and sweathearts was also quite moving.

While taking one of the tours of Washington DC, we stopped at the WWII memorial. I watch the faces of these men as they walked around the beautiful memorial and I realized that as they walked around reading the quotes engraved on the walls they they were paying tribute to those left behind, while the rest of us were paying tribute to those still with us.

This truly was "The Greatest Generation".

On Sunday morning they had their Memorial breakfast which was presided by a resently retired Army Colonel chaplain. His remarks were quite moving. He reminded those of us that were not in the military of the fact that Freedom is not Free. It is paid for by the blood of those who have died and continue to die so that we can have the freedoms that we enjoy. They ended the service by reading the names of the airmen and members of the 461st that have died in the past year. It was difficult not to shed tears at the fact that soon all these brave men will be gone.

I guess the reason I am writing this here, on this forum is to remind us all while we walk through the airport and see these elderly gentlemen,with their WWII hats with pins attached to them, that we take a moment to thank them for what they did for all of us. Just a quick word means so much to each of them.

God Bless America and all that serve to protect it.

bestpilot said:
Word, dude, freaking WORD!!!

If you were really blown away by what he said shouldn't it be better if you stated the following:

"Sentence, dude, freaking SENTENCE!!!"

or

"Paragraph, dude, freaking PARAGRAPH!!!"

or how about

"Novel, dude, freaking NOVEL!!!"

Hey Dangerpoopy,

Regardless of the way he said it, what he said is the way almost all of us feel. What these men and women gave for our country will always be remembered and cherished. Don't go and ruin a good intention with your freaking negativity.

box

boxjockey said:
Hey Dangerpoopy,

Regardless of the way he said it, what he said is the way almost all of us feel. What these men and women gave for our country will always be remembered and cherished. Don't go and ruin a good intention with your freaking negativity.

box
Boxjockey,

Where did I state anything to the contrary?

Read some of bestpilots posts. He is a middle class white guy dork trying to act like he is all ghetto. Thats what I was referring to NOT to what Oldmanpilot wrote. So before you resort to name calling why dont you have a freaking clue what you are talking about.

Last edited:
I don't pay enough attention to this "web site" to know who says what over an extended period of time. The way it appeared to me, was that because of the way he chose to phrase his response, you chose to criticise him. All I was doing was trying to restore the original idea of the post. You are right, I shouldn't have reverted to name calling, seemed like an easy spin on words at the time. For that, I appologize.

box

boxjockey said:
I don't pay enough attention to this "web site" to know who says what over an extended period of time. The way it appeared to me, was that because of the way he chose to phrase his response, you chose to criticise him. All I was doing was trying to restore the original idea of the post. You are right, I shouldn't have reverted to name calling, seemed like an easy spin on words at the time. For that, I appologize.

box

Ok apology accepted. Now I have to edit my post though and take away my "moron" comment.

Latest resources

Back