• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Freedom Airline Jumpseat

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
First, let me say there is no way that I would ever cross a picket line or work at a company like Freedom. Unfortunately, all I hear from ALPA and some of the pilots on this board are threats and intimidation. Next time the issue comes up for a vote are you willing to give up something so that newhires are treated properly when they come to your company? It's got to work both ways.

Arrogant? Moi?

Riddlebratt said:
Inthepool, Bobby,N9103M, and Simonsays......you guys are the reason why pilots have the label as being arogant in the real world. You cannot attack someones beliefs. Fact be it is that I am already a Union member and respect you right to protest. In saying that I also respect the way you feel for the Union that didnt give a d*mn about you or your regional carrier before Sep 11th. But maybe through these nogotiations Alpa can step up to the plate and become one of the better unions and join the ranks of the Teamsters and my very own UAW. Now that we are talking about Riddle....I am very proud to be a Graduate of ERAU. Other than the birth of my children that was the best day of my life receiving that degree...... I noticed you guys have pride in several things such as the Denver Broncos as Well as United Parcel Service. I NEVER THOUGHT A SIMPLE QUESTION WOULD BRING OUT SO MANY NEGITIVE COMMENTS
Read a few of my other posts. I would have jumped for joy to be invited to class at a regional. But I wouldn't have done so as a scab.

I could have sent materials to Eastern when it was recruiting "replacement" pilots in circa 1990-'91. I might have had a chance; in fact I met an FSI instructor who got on there. The very notion turned my stomach. The epilogue to that instructor's story was that Eastern showed her the door, after it promised jobs and seniority to these "replacement" pilots. She was lucky to have FSI take her back.

I find it ironic that you, as a member of one of the strongest labor unions, a virtual pillar of the AFL-CIO, would consider flying for Freedom, which is tantamount to crossing a line. Maybe you are not realizing that Frank O at Mesa started Freedom as a non-union carrier. Review of Mesa's history reveals oppressive management tactics from its founding until the pilots' union was voted on the property. Mesa's management fought tooth and nail to prevent its pilots from organizing. As a UAW member, you should have been well schooled in solidarity. I recall from my OKC days that the GM UAW members were strong and solid.

Try reviewing the whys and wherefores of Freedom's creation, read both volumes of Flying the Line and as a union member you'll see the issue differently. Cheers.

Last edited:
bobbysamd said:

Maybe you are not realizing that Frank O at Mesa started Freedom as a non-union carrier.

Not to nitpick, but it was Jonathan Ornstein who started Freedom. I think your mind was still on Eastern with that "Frank" stuff. :)

Frankie L-Jonny L, it's all the same . . .

greg20 said:
bobbysamd said:

Not to nitpick, but it was Jonathan Ornstein who started Freedom. I think your mind was still on Eastern with that "Frank" stuff. :)
I meant to write Jonny L. It was with intention. Frank Lorenzo, Jonathan Ornstein, same difference. Just trying to make a point.

Last edited:
N9103M Once again I will tell you I deserve the opportunity to fly a aircraft such as the 700 and 900 because I feel that I can do so. But you are right it does sound a little arrogant. You sure know how to welcome someone. I still enjoy this board. thats the reason why I Joined here...to get both sides of the story.

Bobbysamd Don't be misunderstood about my intensions. I intend on getting all the info possible about this airline before passing judgement. I have been a UAW member for 10yrs....If there is one single thing you will learn is that you must evaluate things for yourself vs depending on a union to get things done for you. My Father was an Eastern Airlines Pilot whom DID NOT cross the picket line and eventually lost his job as well. He places blame on the union as well as Lorenzo. I would never cross a picket line. But until there is a picket line you cannot have a scab.

A few, hopefully unemotional thoughts of mine on the subject...

Freedom Airlines is a virtual crossing of the picket line. The theory that you can't cross a picket line until there is one misses the overall reason why doing such a thing is wrong in the first place. Freedom Airline pilots are basically saying that they are willing to take a hard-earned job away from a tenured pilot because they want to fly for a regional, and don't really care about being paid a reasonable wage or having decent work rules. This hurts the collective bargaining power of the Mesa pilots just as much as crossing a picket line does; It is irrelevant as to the manner of execution of such double-crossing. This is perpetuated under the guise of "I don't want to wait for it. Why should I spend two years earning 2 or 3 thousand hours when I can go now?"

Making the argument to such individuals that the experience gained in these types of environments is beneficial to the safe operation of the passenger aircraft is a self-defeating one, as people who think in this fashion aren't interested in the well-being of the people in the back any more so than the people whose jobs they are undermining. "I have to eat, too" is the favorite rallying cry. Yet it seems like so many of us managed to eat during the times spent hauling checks or CFIing. In fact, many furloughed friends went and got (gasp!) another job in the process.

To those of you who can't fathom why we're all angered when an aviation school graduate gets on here and starts whining about whether or not he or she is capable of piloting a jet aircraft, think about it this way. You believe you deserve that job because you went to Embry Riddle (or UND, or Purdue, or whatever), and since you are capable it should be available to you. However, capability and deservedness are not necessarily related. I cannot possibly believe that a pilot with five times your level of flight experience is less deserving of a job than you are, as he has certainly worked harder and gone through a great deal more in the process to earn the position he maintains. I am, myself, a Purdue University graduate, albeit one who spent a year flying freight around at night and one who has packed about 800 hours of dual given into his logbook. My degree is a part of my qualifications, but it does not solely stand as a reason anyone should employ me, and it certainly does not give me the right to alienate the people who have worked harder to get where they are because I want to fly a jet right now. I don't begrudge bridge programs, nor pilot who are hired with 600 hours who are competant pilots. I do take offense, however, to someone that essentially takes my job away from me because they "deserve to fly a jet, too." I'm not bringing in six figures and working eight days a month; This isn't some Robin Hood fantasy where you're shooting a guy in the foot whose idea of a cheap car is a Lexus. I barely get by as it is, and your impatience might put me in a position where I'm suddenly out on the street because you're willing to do it for less. What happens then--do I offer to do your job for less money? In the end, we lose, and stockholders walk away with bigger profits. If I can keep you and others from taking that job, then management will be faced with the prospect of paying higher wages, which gives me a chance (and eventually you) to live a reasonable life as a reward for my hard work.

I'm not a captain yet. If I were, however, I would refuse Freedom Airlines Pilots the jumpseat. It's not personal. I don't take it personally that they took the job in the first place. But I can't support it. You sold me out for a jet-driving job, so while we're being selfish, why should I help you out? Why do you expect that I should "be professional" and reward you for hurting me? By taking the job, you've already demonstrated that my future is of no concern of yours.

It seems to me the real issue when you get down to it is that we as pilots have got to stand together because no one out there will do it for us. The fact of the matter is, in this business everyone is out to screw each other. Management wants us to work for less than we can live on. We want to work for more than management can afford to pay us. ALPA, who represents both Majors and Regionals plays both sides against the middle with higher wages in one hand and scope clauses in the other. We as pilots can't count on ALPA to act in our best interests simply because they're ALPA, and management certainly isn't going to do it, so it's pretty much up to us to stick together and do the right thing. That means that those of us who flew checks single pilot IFR at night in the winter need to be able to get along with those of us who graduated from aviation colleges and are equipped with more book knowledge than real world experience, and vice versa. When it comes down to it folks, Management and ALPA are going to look out for their own best interests, which means that we need to do the same. So should you work for Freedom? Probably not, because of what strikefinder said so well in his post. Should you deny someone the jumpseat for flying with Freedom? That just breeds further hostility amongst ourselves.

inthepool said:
Should you deny someone the jumpseat for flying with Freedom? That just breeds further hostility amongst ourselves.

Let me see, your against Freedom but not the pilots. YOU DON'T THINK THAT LETTING A FREEDOM AIR PILOT RIDING YOUR JUMPSEAT IS SUPPURTING THEM AND ENDANGERING YOUR JOB? I'm sorry but I am not gonna let some guy board my plane to go to work & back for a company that is "Free" for management & "DUMB" for pilots. Great, now every major has got there eye on Freedom and going hmmmm... These guys are helping to support a rollback of regional pilot's pay!!

Strikefinder, I agree with you 120%

I thought about the argument that well, "I gotta feed my family" However, I would search up & down left & right to find another job than to support J.O. in his Enron style of shafting the working pilots. FREEDOM PILOTS HAVE NO RESPECT WHEN THEY CAN'T EVEN TELL THE TRUTH FOR WHO THEY WORK FOR. AN I.D. THAT ACTUALLY CARRIES A PICTURE OF THE AMERICAN FLAG ON IT!! Many pilots, such has my self have sacrificed alot to get where we are now. Flight instructing, flying cargo at night for next to nothing, and now this....ENOUGH!!!!

If the TA gets approved the Freedom losers will be on the bottom of the seniority list. This means they will most likely get pushed out of the jets they are flying and down into the 1900. I have heard those that were hired from the street will definately go to the bottom and there is debate about the losers who left Mesa to shortcut their fellow pilots. In the words of one former Dash 8 Captain, "But I am getting PIC jet time now." Hopefully not anymore and he screwed himself out of any recommendations for hire at HP,SW and any other airline who knew someone at.

What will be even better if most of these folks get to sit on reserve and hardly fly at all.

Listen and learn, don't do what these folks did. You will be sorry.

- AZpilot

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back