Freedom Air and new hires

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dieterly said:
Jim, I guess you are a PFT scum from COEX? Or at least you are flying side by side with losers that had buy their job? I just assume you add those names to your "scablist" also...

Dieterly, I've read your post in the past and I have to say you're as smart as a smoking turd.

I didn't pay for training, and I do have a few friends that did. I however do not agree with PFT, it is a choice they made at the time. Hopefuly pilots won't have to do that again.

No,Dieterly these pilots that were PFT are not on any kind of scab list. If you don't know the difference between a scab and someone who was PFT, my first statment applies.

freedom

Well you pegged me pretty close. They cancelled ground school early so we didnt get seniority numbers thats all I said about that (just a little bitter). Basically I didn't get a seniority number out of the deal. PS dont you have to be part of the union to be a scab. Even if I did work for freedom which is still my dilemma I would never have been a part of the union ( at least a full fledged member). Thanks to all of you others for at least attempting to give advice and not sling the S word! mDog :rolleyes:

Re: freedom

[PS dont you have to be part of the union to be a scab. Even if I did work for freedom which is still my dilemma I would never have been a part of the union ( at least a full fledged member). Thanks to all of you others for at least attempting to give advice and not sling the S word! mDog :rolleyes: [/B][/QUOTE]

I think that Freedom Air is a non-union carrier, which is part of the problem. If you are not interested in joining unions you might be in the wrong business. I don't think it would be a very good idea to work at freedom air but that is just my opinion. That is the beauty of aviation you get to make all kinds of great decisions that affect your whole career.

My point exactly, Freedom Air/PFT'r are not scabs. A Scab is someone who crosses a PICKET LINE.

Frickin ALPA havn't even asked IFALPA to put a recruitment ban in place for Freedom Air, but as usually a number of guys throwing around the "Scab" word, not knowing what it really means.

On the oher hand, I agree with goin to Freedom is not most honourable (sp) thing to do, but at the same time, not much different from PFTing at COEX.

The fact is that these are Mesa pilots who FREELY chose to act in their own best interest by accepting flying designed to undermine the pay and working conditions of the pilot group they were formerly with.

They are willing assistants to an individual who's interest is to build his net-worth on the backs of underpaid employees to the detriment of honest hardworking and deserving americans.

This is denounced by ALPA, the Mesa MEC and all honorable Mesa pilots.

Sadly, there will always be individuals who sell-out the group (and the profession) for the benefit of themselves.

eaglefly said:
The fact is that these are Mesa pilots who FREELY chose to act in their own best interest by accepting flying designed to undermine the pay and working conditions of the pilot group they were formerly with.

They are willing assistants to an individual who's interest is to build his net-worth on the backs of underpaid employees to the detriment of honest hardworking and deserving americans.

This is denounced by ALPA, the Mesa MEC and all honorable Mesa pilots.

Sadly, there will always be individuals who sell-out the group (and the profession) for the benefit of themselves.

Very well said. JO is a scumbag. If this was a new company with new investors and had no involvement with Mesa it would be a different story. He says it is a seperate company but they are using the Mesa training facilities, piggy backing on the Mesa certificate to start, etc. Total BS.

The industry may be changing towards lower average wages but the current situation is a complete joke. Minimum salary for first year should be around 20k and then quickly go up to around 30k. I don't care what you fly or for whom. The public has the great misconception that all pilots and flight crews are well paid and have cushy schedules. An airline like Freedom is only going to make this worse. If pilots as a whole would not fly for outfits like this they couldn't exist. If they support other airlines be it HP, CAL, whatever the airlines would be forced to pay more for the regionals which feed them. Beating a dead horse I will shut up. :)

AZPilot

to mdog

Mdog, I am a Mesa CRJ CA and I want to urge you to say no to Freedumb Airlines. I know it is easy for me to say this because I have a job, and you want to get your foot in the door of this industry, but it is the right decision. IMHO you would be taking a shortcut that would help you build time and collect a paycheck in the short term, but might hurt you in the long term. I do understand and sympathize with your current predicament, however.

I believe I am correct in saying that IT DOES NOT MATTER IF YOU ARE A UNION MEMBER OR NOT - IF YOU CROSS A PICKET LINE AND/OR WORK STRUCK WORK - YOU WILL BE A SCAB. People on this bulletin board like to throw around the word SCAB about anyone and everyone (especially Mesa guys) so you might be confused about what a SCAB really is.

For example: if the America West pilots and/or the Mesa pilots go on strike the unions will declare those routes (as America West and Mesa) as struck work. If replacement pilots were to go to work at AWA or Mesa and fly that stuck work then they would be SCABS. Also, if the Freedom pilots fly those routes as America West or America West Express then they would be SCABS - in other words they are working struck work.

The question you need to ask yourself is this: What am I going to do if I am asked to work struck work? Remember you will not have the protection of a union - it will just be you and JonnyO and he is saying you can either become a SCAB or you will be fired. Do you really want to put yourself in that situation? I am not saying it will happen, but if you educate yourself about the situation you will see that it very well could happen.

I wish you well in your career whatever your decision may be.
Spiff

:confused:
Thanks for the words of wisdom vs the rhetoric. Question: What is the difference between a scab and say someone working for a company that has taken over CC Airs old routes?

What about an outsider that is hired by Mesa Air Group in the future and assigned to Freedom? Would they be considered a scab as long as they did not fly struck work?

By outisder I mean someone who has no previous connection to Mesa or Mesa Pilot Development.

Freedumb

CCAirs routes are not presently "Struck Work". The pilots of CCAir are not on strike. I think they are all (or nearly all) furloughed and that CCAir will be done away with - sadly. That is the difference. If the pilots at CCAir do go on strike (can you strike when you are furloughed?) they would probably declare their USAirways Express routes as struck work and would request that all pilots honor their strike. Any pilot, whether working as a replacement CCAir pilot, or for any other company which agrees with USAirways to replace CCAir on those routes, is working struck work. Now if CCAir goes out of business then I am not sure how it works from there.

EX: When the pilots at Comair went on strike they declared Comair's routes as struck work. If Mesa had signed an agreement with Delta to replace Comair on those routes, and IF Mesa's pilots agreed to work those flights (the vast majority never would have agreed to this and our union warned our company that we would not work those routes) then that would be an example of working struck work. Mesa did make plans to move into CVG during the strike, but did not have an agreement with Delta - therefore it would not have been a struck work situation. Comair has a huge presence in CVG, but does not LITERALLY own it - yet.

I hope that makes it clear as mud for you.
Spiff

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back