Freedom Air and new hires

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mDog

Hey guys and gals. I am a mesa new hire who never made it through ground school. I have been keeping up with the boards etc. and I have become concerned about the possibility of being called up for Freedom. Here is the cruxt of the problem I never made it completely through ground school so I have no seniority #, have no union protection and I am technically not even a member of ALPA. I am just by the grace of the company being kept on a call back list (probably not worth the paper it is written on). I also (in todays market) dont really have the hours to go many other places so I am afraid that if I refuse to fly for freedom, mesa is going to let me go. In addition, if I take a position I dont want to be screwed for the rest of my short career. Either choice is a bummer so I'm looking for some good advice or words of wisdom. If your going to flame me dont bother I am looking for serious advice. Private message me if you have to... Thanks for any help I can get.:confused:

I am going to guess that you are a MAPD grad... IF you were not than "usually" you have enough time to look elsewhere.

As a MAPD grad they usually put you where they need you, although I doubt they will put you into Freedom immediately. I would guess they would want as many experienced crews as they can get immediately. It is easier for them to do differences or transition training before going to new hire(s).

Mesa is wierd though, when I was there they were putting a mix of people into all 4 aircraft from MAPD (B1900, CRJ, ERJ, and DHC-8).

Basically, they guaranteed you an interview with Mesa, not with Freedom or any other carrier). If they offer you a class you "may" not know for which carrier unless you ask.

At that point it is your decision to say yes or no, I know that does not help you, but I would not worry until they start calling MAPD guys for Freedom.

One other point... As I remember it (and yes it has been a few years since I was at Mesa). You ARE an employee from day ONE. They just do not pay for your hotel until you pass Systems. I do not get it where you were in gound school but never received an ID or filled out the ALPA paperwork. Fill in the blanks....

I think they are going to start asking MAPD to go to Freedom, If you can log on Mesa union site, and read some of the replies. One post said there was couple guys from the majors who were furloughed. Will see What happens. Only time will tell

Gordian knot

Class 1 rumor has it that Chautauqua will be hiring off the street soon. Cutting the knot is easier than untying it.

You have a tough decision. Every decision comes with risks and rewards. Should you choose Freedom, then you must also accept the potential future consequences of that decision.

I can't tell you what those consequences will be. Good luck. The only advice I can offer now is that you may want to consider living in your domicile.

I'm not sure how people feel about freedom air, but I do know the basics. If this is your first airline job, I would go to freedom air w/o hesitation if certain circumstances are met. Now, if current pilots at Mesa are refusing to move to the freedom side, then I would not go. Take a very good look at what ALPA is saying about freedom air, and make your decision based on the facts. Again, I'm not sure exactly what's going on, just my opinion.

Cornenlius, I'm disappointed in you. So you would take a job at Freedom Air:eek:

The choice is easy, don't take it. I know things such right now, the times sucked at Eastern and Continental in the 80's too. Just ask how things suck for the guys that took the job that are now hated by the rest of the industry. Please don't add your name to my scab list. Don't ruin you career becouse you wanted a job now. Hang in there like so many did before you, don't eat the forbidden fruit!

Jim, I guess you are a PFT scum from COEX? Or at least you are flying side by side with losers that had buy their job? I just assume you add those names to your "scablist" also...

Captjim, I personally would never go to Freedom Air I was just saying that the dude looking at going there needs to take a careful look. I've been doing a little research on freedom since my original post, and I didn't know things were that messed up. My original post was written as if I were in that guy's shoes. I feel pretty strongly about unions since my airline is currently going through negotiations this week and we have the lowest pay and benefits in the US. We have a union meeting today which I'm going to attend while many other pilots at other regionals don't take the effort to travel when they have their meetings during negotiations. I have never applied to Mesa nor Freedom Air but I have been applying to many other regionals.

Finally, don't go around throwing the word "Scab" around if you don't know who I am.

A difficult decision to be sure. But, I'd be asking myself whether I wanted my name added to this list http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9032 which has been circulating around the net for a few days.

Dieterly said:
Jim, I guess you are a PFT scum from COEX? Or at least you are flying side by side with losers that had buy their job? I just assume you add those names to your "scablist" also...

Dieterly, I'm always amazed at the pilots who are smart enough to fly an airplane, but can't grasp the difference between a scab and someone who paid for training. Let me ask you, are the SWA pilots who paid for their type rating on your scab list? I'm speachless...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back