fractional vs regional ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi fellow aviators,

I am an ex-Midway pilot who just finished training at EJA on the Ultra. All I can say is I LOVE IT!!!!!! We are treated with respect. They don't give us employee numbers because they want to know us by name. Hey, you "major" airline guys have never heard of that now have you? hahahaha

Seriously I am very content at EJA and am looking forward to spending the rest of my 30 years there. Oh yea, I don't have to retire at 60 now......cool! For the first time in 12 years of professional flying I feel secure and do not worry if my job will be here next week. HEY, thats another concept I bet you "major" airline folks have never heard of. I have been there; I know it sucks!

As far as non-revenue travel....hahahahaha. Its a lot of fun to be treated like dog-crap from the check-in counter to the aircraft because they don't have to give you anything. My family was really impressed when I tried to take them on a non-rev trip when I worked for AAEagle. The AA people were VERY rude to my wife and kids because they new they could get away with it. Now you "major" airline folks must really enjoy those benefits. Of course, I am taking my family to Disney World as a positive space passenger with all the service and courtesy that a regular fare paying passenger deserves.

I feel much better now. Thanks for listening.

gump:p

Glad to hear

Thanks for the post Gump! Good to hear as I am joining you at EJA later this month. You really expressed the way I am hoping to feel with the new job. I am mostly glad that there will be NO MORE COMMUTING!

Gump,

Sounds like you have a real grudge with the "majors." You almost sound like you worked for one, But you didn't did you. If my math is correct you started your "profesional" flying career when you were 18? What job did you have at 18. I flew with alot of disgruntled pilots like you at a fractional, the honeymoon will wear off and you will again be able to bring your fellow pilots down. I suggest you print your post and read it again in a year for a reallity check.

I am not trying to pick a bone with you, but, your story and excitement is all to familiar. EJA is the right choice for a frac job.

May,

Actually I started flying at age 15. At 18 I was a CFII working at the local airport trying to began an aviation career. I think maybe your math is flawed or you should re-read my post. My intent was to communicate my excitement for being able to fly 30 MORE years and not having to retire at age 60. My "professional" career actually began at age 22 when I was hired by a commuter.

I have no "crudge" with the majors. I have never applied nor do I ever intend to. However, I have much experience with non-revenue travel and its not all its cut out to be.

As for a reality check; I think I just did that back on 9/12 when my company ceased operations and I was forced to work at whatever odd jobs I could find in order to support my family like so many others in this profession. I hope you never find yourself in that situation.

Sorry if I stepped on your toes in my previous post. I wish you much success in the future.

gump

back,

(Check you private messages...),

From the varied, nonresponsive, and somewhat heated posts to your question, the answer is... it's totally subjective. From what I've read, everyone who has posted here is passionate about their respective career paths and truly believes that they have made the right move to attain their personal goals. By not answering your question directly, most of these posts have shown you what you do and don't need to succeed. A love for aviation, and above all, humility.

Don't discount other aspects of aviaiton as well. Frax and regionals are only part of the picture. There is the upper end of corporate aviation, major airlines, freight, etc... I'd look into all of it before deciding on frax or regionals.

Good luck and good health...

No contest....

Sliding back to the original post and question on this thread....

I have flown for two regionals, USAir Express (BE-1900), and Eastern
Express (BE-C-99), as well as freight (MU-2), Air Ambulance (C-421),
Ag Ops (BE-90), and charter (C-310, PA-23/250).
I don't know about the other fractionals, but I can ASSURE you that
working for EJA is light years ahead of any regional flying as far as quality
of life, pay, equipment, and benefits. I've flown for this fractional for
almost 5 years and have had Co-Captains and Co-pilots from the military,
majors, regionals, and almost every background imaginable. Almost 99%
of them tell me that (except for the major airline pay scale),
this is the best place they've EVER worked. I hope the new contract
will fix the pay situation, as well. Trust me, ask ANY pilot who has worked
at both a regional and a QUALITY fractional....it's a "no brainer".

I've just come back from indoc and a/c training in CMH with EJA and I've also drank the Kool Aid. Sign me up, I'm here to stay! EJA is a great place to be but it's not for everyone. Is it better than a Major? Who knows, I guess it's all in ones perception and what you value in a job. There was one furloughed Major pilot in my class whom would not leave if recalled.

With that being said this next contract will be the deciding factor for many people. "Show me the money" is still a common theme during my indoc. Yes we need a pay raise but that is not the only reason I came here. I also came from Midway.

Good luck!

At RTA I have flown with plenty of ex-regional guys but I personally do not know of anybody leaving RTA to fly at a regional. Take it for what it is worth.

Sorry for th late response to your question.

I am hoping to leave the regionals for EJA. However, I have worked with several guys who left the fractionals to work at the regionals. Part 121 time is valuable if you are looking toward the majors.
I guess, it is the economic forecast, flight time, upgrade time and whatever blows your skirt up.

Ty Webb said:
I can tell you this, though, there were over 20 pilots a month leaving EJA for majors last year, but I have yet to hear of any pilots leaving a major airline to go to EJA.

Ty,
Actually, I have the EJA resignation list in front of me, back to Jan 2000. The average for the entire period was only 6-8 per month. One month as high as 16, some as low as 4. (These also include terminations.) As a matter of fact, some EJA pilots did go to majors and return. Both prior to, and since Sept. 11th.

I turned down a nice job flying 72's 4 years ago to come to EJA. If I had not, I would now be in the furlough line with several of my contemporaries. Instead, I'm in the top 20% at EJA, and based in my hometown.

Glad to be here.

Latest resources

Back