fractional vs regional ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

back

would like some input from frac and regional guys as to the quality of life between the two. I am in the process of makeing a decesion and am mostly interested in quality of life. All my flying has been corporate so am trying to compare the 2 with pilots who have done both. I live close to cleveland so options is close to me

any input will be very helpful

I can tell you after working at Comair for 4 and a half years and now at EJA that there is no way to compare the two except for pay for now till our new contract comes.
Comair has great planes and a lot of great pilots, but a management team that would rather see you dead then have any lifesyle at all. You stay in crappy hotels and mcdonalds is the best food you see on the job at your expense. A normal week is 4-6 days with a average of 5-6 legs a day. When you are on reserve you only get 6 days a month where you know for sure when you will be off. Once you get a line the lifestyle is better, but when you upgrade to captain, the same old crap starts again. Lineholding captains are going at 5 years with the company.
At EJA for the most part you stay at top notch hotels and the company feeds you very good meals all day. I really feel the management does really care about you. You start off on the 17 day schedule, which means you know of 13 days a month that you will be off. You can bid your time off and I have never had a problem getting certain days off. I am lucky and fly one of their wider body planes at EJA, which means a average day for me is 2 legs. The flying is so much better here also. New places all the time which includes trips to the islands and many great resorts throughout the USA. At Comair every other leg is to cvg and gets really boring. Also you make about 22k more your first year compared to comair and that does not include your perdiem you will not be spending when the company does feed you.
If you have a choice, take the fractionals. The job is as good as a major, maybe better, it just needs to pay better and you will soon see the pay increase a lot. Hope that helps

Also upgrade times at EJA for most of the planes is a couple of months, at most

I can believe that EJA is better than being at Comair, but if you seriously thinkt hat EJA is better than being at a major, you're out of your mind. When the majors start hiring again, you'll see plenty of guys lining up to leave for the majors again.

Going to places like Telluride and Aspen and the Caribbean is nice (I did it for years as a corporate pilot), but for a fractional, it's not like you are staying and skiing or beaching it, unless you are broke down or very, very lucky.

Me, I would rather fly to the same 50 cities over and over, but on a 16 day a month schedule, and have the travel benefits to go to those places when I want to go there, with the major airline salary to enjoy them.

I hope you guys get the "big pay increase" that you are hoping for, but you aren't going to be seeing any kind of major airline pay, that's for sure.

Last edited:
EJA versus a Major?

Why would you take a Major over EJA? I wouldn't. I have an interview in a few days with EJA, I hope I get it. It's been a lot of work and money to get to this point but I'm finally (almost) there. I've done my homework and with everything I've learned about EJA versus the majors I cannot see myself choosing United Airlines (z.b.)over EJA. If I even had the choice, I'm not even sending apps to any of the Majors, EJA is the only company I want to work for now. If they turn me down I'll work on deficiencies, correct them and reapply. The only reason I've sent resumes to companies other than EJA is a plan B in case I get furloughed from my present job. I still love flying.

Compared to a regional, no contest. But I'd argue against a major.

EJA is where I want to be. Who needs the big bux, their pay seems to be just fine for me.

tjs

I have only worked and currently working with the regionals, so I will tell you some pros and cons of the regionals. I am currently in the process to work for EJA and I have made my decision based on the pros and cons, not because I am furloughed.

Pros:
1. Jumpseat priviledges. Great gig, but no time ot $$$ to use it for personal travel. I commute using JS.
3. Non-rev. travel benefits. See above.
4. Great aircraft. EMB 145 for me.
5. Good, fast flight time building in Part 121.
6. You can live anywhere you like, just be there on time.

Cons:
1. You are a number and nothing more.
2. Low pay.
3. Bad work rules.
- long hours
- long sit times with no pay
- reschedules and reassignments that screws you, especially if you are a commuter
- reserve sucks
- reduced rest - 4 to 5 hrs of sleep a night
4. Old, beat-up A/C.
5. Low quality hotels (majority of the times) waiting for the van for 30 min. in the freezing cold.

Upgrade is very different from carrier to carrier, so is A/C type.
** Make the right decision now, you may be chosing your last flying job. Based on recent, tragic events and the companies' desire to take advantage of them, the major airlines maybe a pipe dream for most of us. I would rather be at the fractionals than the regionals for the rest of my career. And it applies to the 24 year old Embry-Riddle wonders too.

Good luck deciding.

TJ, you've got it bad, man!

Write back when you've been there about nine months, and let me know how you feel about it.

I can tell you this, though, there were over 20 pilots a month leaving EJA for majors last year, but I have yet to hear of any pilots leaving a major airline to go to EJA.

I'm not knocking EJA- it was my backup plan in case things did not work out at the airline I started at in November, but, thankfully, things worked out for me.

If you really think EJA is the be-all/ end-all, then I hope it is the right place for you. Thank goodness we don't all want the same job, or we'd all be in a mess.

Good Luck

Fractionals VS. Regionals

First of all I want to say what a great forum! My opionion is only that! With that said, I for one fly for EJA, I love it! I was a little older when I started flying. I first got out of the Air Force as an enlisted mechanic at age 23. College was my priority. I went to Boise State and got a 4 year degree in Aviation Management (BBA). During college I got a job throwing bags at United which gave me some valuable insight. For 1) Pass travel sucks because of the lack of seats and the fact that you can't depend on non-reving the flight. Not a bad deal if you are travelling alone, but if you have a family-forget it. 2)Saw a lot of in-house bickering between unions and management. 3)Every Captain that I got to know loved the flying but hated their jobs. United turned me down twice for a Flight Officer position. The experience was extremely rewarding and gave me insights to better myself and lead me to where I am today. If United had offered me the job back then, yes, I would have taken it. I flew corporate & charter for 5 years. Then I came to a fork in the road which was regional or fractional. It was a no brainer for me. For 1)The fractionals starting pay is much higher than the regionals in my geographic area. 2)The flying is challenging and rewarding and different every day. 3)I get to fly aircraft with state of the art equipment and cutting edge technology. 4)I get fed very well and meet some really cool people. 5)I get enough airline miles and hotel miles that I can take my whole family anywhere I want on POSITIVE space. 6)Most important, my time at home is MINE-no pager, no reserve-seven on seven off! Sorry for rambling. I just can't say enough good things about EJA. I have been there 1.5 years and couldn't be happier flying the X. There is something for everyone out there. The best thing I ever did was take the time to evaluate my options and what was available to me. P.S. The pay and benefits will be going up tremendously with our new contract. Fly Safe!

you can have the airline life...

I see it all the time - treated like a criminal... searched like a con....

all to drive the same airplane to the same destinations day in and day out.... do it until your numbers up - then thanks for playing...

take your upgrade when they tell you - fly with folks that have no place in the cockpit - yet due to seniority they'll be your captain some day...

let dispatchers make your calls for you - simply sign the paper and off you go... get stuck away from home... reserve, poor bases, getting junior manned, layoffs... and the benefits? trying to jumpseat or pass travel... good luck and enjoy it.

I've tried it, I've got the T shirts... and I decided to go a different road.

remember - they give you money in exchange for the suffering... and you can always make money elsewhere... but you can't make back the time. Put a dollar figure on being away from friends and family... the nights on the road when life goes on outside your hotel room's walls...

and also bear in mind... the world is changing... UAL can't compete with SWA... the high paying jobs of the past - will go away... companies will strive for more cost effective methods.. we could fly these things without pilots you know... not that I think that will happen soon... but in our lifetime - I expect to see it. (heck fly by wire is almost entirely a computer controlled a/c... the pilots just run the software)... but all in all salaries will go down simply because there are pilots that need to feed the family.... kids don't like a heaping plate of union rhetoric in lieu of food.

just my thoughts... now turn off the computer and go outside.

Interesting thought process. I doubt flying that Metro really enabled you to sample life at a major, though. I think the fractional v. regional thing has already been covered.

Enjoy EJA. I could make the same style comments about what life would be like at EJA, if I had the same negative outlook as you.

As Mark Twain said, "Most folks are just about as happy as they make up their minds to be".

It sounds like you would be miserable at a major. Glad you're not taking up a seat at one.

Enjoy your career.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back