Fractional Bases

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Fly High

I heard by talking to a FLOPS pilot that the MGT of FLOPS is going to be stopping the practice of using the airlines to get pilots from their home (Lincoln NE for example) since they are going to concentate their pilots in certain cities (examples of Dallas and Atlanta). Is that true? If so, when is that supposed to start?

Regarding Net Jets, what is the travel practice/rules regarding where a pilot lives and bases? Do they still airline you there? Is there talk of the new contract eliminating that?

I am still considering the switch from 135 to Frac (I have been called stupid before, usually by my wife, and not always due to aviation related things!). Your honest thoughts will be apprecaited.

Also, is 5,100 TT with 750 Turbine PIC and 2,600 Multi competative now days with all of the airline guys floating around out there?

Thanks!

You can pick from any of the following bases when you are hired. I have no clue what the new contract will bring. I am sure things will only get better though. Last I heard they were going to be adding a lot more bases. But don't quote me, because I am in the dark as much as the next guy.
Here are the current NJA pilot bases:

Columbus, OH; Bradley, CT; Teterboro, NJ; Washington Dulles; Atlanta, GA; Orlando, FL; Minneapolis/St. Paul; Denver, CO; Dallas, TX; Las Vegas, NV; Boston, MA; San Diego, CA; Seattle, WA; Midway, IL; Pittsburgh, PA; West Palm Beach, FL; St. Louis, MO; Los Angeles, CA; San Francisco, CA; Salt Lake City, UT; New Orleans, LA; Charlotte, NC; Jacksonville, FL; Detroit, MI; Phoenix, AZ

You can live where you want as long as you are available for duty on day 1. Some guys in the company drive a LONG ways to get to work. I feel for them.

Last edited:
Fly High said:
I heard by talking to a FLOPS pilot that the MGT of FLOPS is going to be stopping the practice of using the airlines to get pilots from their home (Lincoln NE for example) since they are going to concentate their pilots in certain cities (examples of Dallas and Atlanta). Is that true? If so, when is that supposed to start?

Regarding Net Jets, what is the travel practice/rules regarding where a pilot lives and bases? Do they still airline you there? Is there talk of the new contract eliminating that?

I am still considering the switch from 135 to Frac (I have been called stupid before, usually by my wife, and not always due to aviation related things!). Your honest thoughts will be apprecaited.

Also, is 5,100 TT with 750 Turbine PIC and 2,600 Multi competative now days with all of the airline guys floating around out there?

Thanks!

As a new hire at FLOPS you will have to live in or be able to respond by one hour to one of the airports in what's called a tier 1 city. Right now they are hiring specifically for these cities ie Dallas, San Fran, Nashville, Atlanta. Your quals certainly are competitive right now. PM me for more info if you wish.

Last edited:
With NJA, what is the policy regarding when you have to be in the area of one of the bases? I live over 2 hours away from one of the bases and I really don't want to move there or anywhere other than where I currently am (wife, family, school and so on).

Thanks

NJA requires that you be within 100 miles AND 3 hours drive by midnight on your first day.

I don't know what you're doing now but I would definitely recommend that you consider waiting there until the contract is settled. Labor relations are about to get extreemly ugly! I would never take a job in a place that smells like gasoline and has people walking around with their pockets full of matches. Wait 4-6 months and see if there's anything left worth coming to.

If you decide to come to NJA, know what you are getting into. I honestly think things will get better. At this point, I don't see NJA making it for the long haul if things don't change. We are pissing off customers like there is no tomorrow. The company is WAY oversold. I don't care what the "management" folks on this site say. We pilots hear it from the customers every week how jacked up NJA is becoming. How they would get out of their contracts if they could. Ask how many pilots on this board have been screamed at by our customers in the last year, because we were late or didn't have enough duty time to even do the trip. I use to be proud being an NJA pilot, now I am embarrassed!

Fly High

At Flops you now have to base at places like Dallas to catch an airline to where you used to live like, Lincoln NE to catch one of the planes!

Like Hotel Monkey said, Same goes for Flops.
Flops has a new schedule for new hires, you are on call 24-7. CEO, Sringa calls it the "Flex Schedule". This could be a sign of a merger with Flex J.

For flops you are over qualified. Tell them you still live with your parents and you are excited about the pay scale.

Good Luck

Fly high - your times are fine; just meet the mins. Marketing may like retired, gray haired pilots, but the training dept may have a different idea. Marketing don’t hire. Point being, don’t worry about your flight times. What you need to worry about is even considering NetJets. They aren’t considerate to their pilots, so why be considerate to them. Go somewhere else where you’ll be appreciated. However, if you do want to come over this way, you’ll need to be within 100 miles (you pick nm or sm;) ) not to exceed three hours driving time to a gateway city. And remember, bring comfortable walking shoes.

Latest resources

Back