frac or airline?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

brewerdog

frac. flying seems to have a good thing going on but airline friends say big iron is the way to go

I am open to any comments

If this is your only choice, my friend

then it is kind of like choosing between suicide by slitting your throat with a sardine can lid or by abrading your wrists on rusty barbed wire.

Why not broaden your aviation job search horizons...so to speak?

onthebeach said:
then it is kind of like choosing between suicide by slitting your throat with a sardine can lid or by abrading your wrists on rusty barbed wire.

Why not broaden your aviation job search horizons...so to speak?

I totally disagree. I have flown military, corporate, freight, and airlines and without question prefer the airline option by a long shot. Of course I work for a good airline, so its easy for me to say that. The airline route is not usually an easy one however, so I would recommend that you do a lot of soul searching to determine what you really want in life before you commit to the long road to being an airline pilot for a good major carrier.

brewerdog said:
"broaden your aviation job search horizons"??

such as...

corporate....135....freight....

I havent really fully done both of the two you have suggested...but with lots of friends in the industry and what I know here are some thoughts on each

Fractional

• Flying to many various locations on trips (with some repetitiveness)
  • Equipment - Aircraft (depending on how you view that)
  • More 1 on 1 with clients (again....can go both ways)
  • Fairly consistent schedule (7&7, etc.)
  • Quality of Life (job security, schedule, etc.)
Airline

• Larger aircraft (if thats important to you)
  • Steady schedule - consistency
  • Possibility of more $$$
It seems these days I can always think of 2 negatives per 1 positive but thats for flying in general....not specific to a job. My suggestion would be to do your research (like you obviously are doing!) and talk to friends-pilots out there doing their thing. The best you can do is guess and try something out. This industry is tough though....so make sure your guess is a well educated one.

Im sort of having the same dilemma....and the more time I spend around here the less I like any of my options! Try not to get bogged down with the majority of negativity around here. No job is perfect. Try to get a 1 on 1 with someone at a place you are looking at and ask them to be straight with you. This place is 90% venting and 10% usefull information when it comes to looking at a particular place of employment.

All that you can do is take whatever info you can get and give it a shot. Whats right for one may not be for another...thats why these boards are dangerous. I know guys looking at fracs that are scared to even consider it because of what they read around here....while at the same time I know guys actually at fracs that love what they do.

who the hell knows man....find out whats important to you in regards to QOL and roll.

Latest resources

Back