frac or airline?

brewerdog

Total Time
5000+
frac. flying seems to have a good thing going on but airline friends say big iron is the way to go

I am open to any comments

onthebeach

Total Time
10K+
If this is your only choice, my friend

then it is kind of like choosing between suicide by slitting your throat with a sardine can lid or by abrading your wrists on rusty barbed wire.

Why not broaden your aviation job search horizons...so to speak?

USMC319

As you were Gents
Total Time
onthebeach said:
then it is kind of like choosing between suicide by slitting your throat with a sardine can lid or by abrading your wrists on rusty barbed wire.

Why not broaden your aviation job search horizons...so to speak?

I totally disagree. I have flown military, corporate, freight, and airlines and without question prefer the airline option by a long shot. Of course I work for a good airline, so its easy for me to say that. The airline route is not usually an easy one however, so I would recommend that you do a lot of soul searching to determine what you really want in life before you commit to the long road to being an airline pilot for a good major carrier.

Irish Pilot

What An Industry
Total Time
Enough
brewerdog said:
"broaden your aviation job search horizons"??

such as...

corporate....135....freight....

I havent really fully done both of the two you have suggested...but with lots of friends in the industry and what I know here are some thoughts on each

Fractional

• Flying to many various locations on trips (with some repetitiveness)
  • Equipment - Aircraft (depending on how you view that)
  • More 1 on 1 with clients (again....can go both ways)
  • Fairly consistent schedule (7&7, etc.)
  • Quality of Life (job security, schedule, etc.)
Airline

• Larger aircraft (if thats important to you)
  • Steady schedule - consistency
  • Possibility of more $$$
It seems these days I can always think of 2 negatives per 1 positive but thats for flying in general....not specific to a job. My suggestion would be to do your research (like you obviously are doing!) and talk to friends-pilots out there doing their thing. The best you can do is guess and try something out. This industry is tough though....so make sure your guess is a well educated one.

Im sort of having the same dilemma....and the more time I spend around here the less I like any of my options! Try not to get bogged down with the majority of negativity around here. No job is perfect. Try to get a 1 on 1 with someone at a place you are looking at and ask them to be straight with you. This place is 90% venting and 10% usefull information when it comes to looking at a particular place of employment.

All that you can do is take whatever info you can get and give it a shot. Whats right for one may not be for another...thats why these boards are dangerous. I know guys looking at fracs that are scared to even consider it because of what they read around here....while at the same time I know guys actually at fracs that love what they do.

who the hell knows man....find out whats important to you in regards to QOL and roll.