• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Found on ..... Facebook?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don't be surprised if a phone call from a regional partner to its respective mainline with a list of names is passed along - unofficially of course. If you believe that cannot or will not happen, you're a fool. These guys talk.

It seems that American pilots staged a massive sick out for over 10 days in 1999. How many of them were fired?

FYI:

http://www.cnn.com/US/9904/15/american.airlines.02/

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...-pilots-association-sickout-lower-paid-pilots

Google has more including a PDF document from the BLS dealing with the event.

I didn't look long enough to see if individual pilots got fired. Seems more directed at the union although there was some mention of individual pax suing individual pilots...doubt that went anywhere.

"While the lawsuit in state court now names only the pilots union as a defendant, both Tekell and Catalano said the airline's pilots could become individually liable if the passenger suits are successful.The union "is organized as an association under Texas law and not as a protective corporation," Catalano said. " It could get to individual pilots."

Last edited:
Comair pilots staged a 2 or 3 day sickout back in 99, I think it was, and ended up with negotiations parked for awhile.

Just get a half ass doctors note, can't be fired for that

Yes, you can.

About 5+ years ago Mesa fired three captains for violating their attendance policy. Only one went to arbitration, the other two got thrown under the bus by their union. They all had doctors notes and one was even in a car accident.

From what I understand the two who did not go to arbitration were forced to sign conditional letters of employment in order to get their jobs back without full back pay.

Arbitrators aren't idiots. In fact, they got to be arbitrators and make $1,000+ a day because they're incredibly smart. They can see through BS, and they aren't handcuffed by rules of evidence and other things that judges deal with. So if they get the strong feeling that you're lying to them and giving them a BS doctor's note, then you aren't getting your job back. Don't be an idiot.

Arbitrators aren't idiots. In fact, they got to be arbitrators and make $1,000+ a day because they're incredibly smart. They can see through BS, and they aren't handcuffed by rules of evidence and other things that judges deal with. So if they get the strong feeling that you're lying to them and giving them a BS doctor's note, then you aren't getting your job back. Don't be an idiot.

Do you seat down when you pee?

Do you seat down when you pee?

I've been fired, suspended, and had numerous letters put in my PRIA reportable file fighting for the rights of pilots. Have you? Brass balls are useless if you get them chopped off by being an idiot.

You're asking the wrong question. There are MANY possible negative outcomes to an illegal job action. Termination is only one.
Actually, I was asking a question in direct response to you saying-"No. You're an idiot if you do participate, though. So goodbye to your job"

Actually, I was asking a question in direct response to you saying-"No. You're an idiot if you do participate, though. So goodbye to your job"

Which is the likely outcome if not many people participate. If a whole lot of people participate, then other very bad outcomes will come to pass. Either way, nothing but bad can come of it.

Again I have to hold my nose for agreeing with PCL, but he's right in this case. Personally, I suspect that not that many will call out sick. And like he said, if it's just a few, they may very well get fired. If a whole lot call out, the companies may not be able to fire and replace that many pilots, so instead they'll take it out in the union. Just like what happened to the APA. Especially because, like the APA, they were stupid enough to actually memorialize their intention to conduct an illegal job action. That's what got the APA in trouble--some union officials left answering machine messages at pilots' homes telling them to call in sick, and those messages made it to the judge. I remember reading one article about it where the judge was so pissed when the pilots refused his back-to-work order, that his quote was, ..."by the time he was done with them, that the [APA's] assets would fit in a single overhead bin."

The airlines all know that pilots are publicly calling for this, and they're waiting. Anyone who does call in sick will probably be assumed to be a part of it, and will most probably face severe scrutiny. Nothing good will come for any pilot in this.

Bubba

Latest resources

Back