Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Former Tranny bidding SW Captain prior to 2015?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well what do you think they are going to do??

I got a guess.....the cheapest route. Wonder what that is???

I bet your guys would be screaming bloody murder, and rightfully so.

There are already a ton of guys at Southwest screaming, and I don't think you will convince any one over here that things didn't play out like they were told it would. Sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here.

Think of it this way, SWA management wouldn't even entertain the beginning of a discussion on right of return because "it isn't the right thing to do" and unfair to AT pilots. Now, imagine their thought process when AT pilots ask for "help" on the 717 movement even though that was a known possibility. My wager is they will say "it isn't the right thing to do" and unfair to SWA pilots. Our good deal recently was deferral of new jets...

Think of it this way, SWA management wouldn't even entertain the beginning of a discussion on right of return because "it isn't the right thing to do" and unfair to AT pilots. Now, imagine their thought process when AT pilots ask for "help" on the 717 movement even though that was a known possibility. My wager is they will say "it isn't the right thing to do" and unfair to SWA pilots. Our good deal recently was deferral of new jets...
Point taken.

AirTran guys aren't trying to pi$$ off any of our SWA brethren, this isn't about that, just trying to explain why the push for something to compensate for the huge hit to the SIA and the expectations of our guys and gals. It may result in something, it may not, but I imagine if the shoe were on the other foot, your pilots would be telling SWAPA reps to try their best to do what they could do about it.

Either way, we'll all get through this, one day at a time until it's all done and we turn the lights out on Airways Blvd for the last time and the last AAI employee has a SWA I.D. Until then, stay thirsty and have fun out there. :beer:

It's just been very eye opening that SWA management would create these conditions for so much angst to exist between the two work groups. For the next 2 and a half years, possibly more, we are going to see constant changes to the transition bid. Some planes will leave on time, others won't. The lynchpin in the transition is SWA's ability to get the int'l reservation system working. That should have been done before SOC, not after. So instead of being leaders and doing the correct planning to make this journey as smooth as possible. They have elected to make the employees the shock absorbers of a poorly executed plan. Im not saying that this merger or any other airline merger needs to get done in a week. But, to make continual changes to a plan, whereby; one change benefits one side and adversely effects the other is not smart. That approach doesn't foster a great culture.

Last edited:
It's just been very eye opening that SWA management would create these conditions for so much angst to exist between the two work groups. For the next 2 and a half years, possibly more, we are going to see constant changes to the transition bid. Some planes will leave on time, others won't. The lynchpin in the transition is SWA's ability to get the int'l reservation system working. That should have been done before SOC, not after. So instead of being leaders and doing the correct planning to make this journey as smooth as possible. They have elected to make the employees the shock absorbers of a poorly executed plan. Im not saying that this merger or any other airline merger needs to get done in a week. But, to make continual changes to a plan, whereby; one change benefits one side and adversely effects the other is not smart. That approach doesn't foster a great culture.

Amen!

I am absolutely shocked that we have SWA pilots on here telling us that we should have negotiated our transition based on something "possibly" happening. What a load s$&t! This gets more comical by the day as the culture gets more tainted.

A few years ago, SWA had pilots that were forced back to f/o. No matter how loud they screamed or how much they complained, they were not given one penny for their "lost" compensation. You might be able to use the breach of contract argument, but you will have a difficult time gaining any compensation over the argument.

You have to remember that SWA has the right to change or modify it's fleet plans. There are many guys that should have upgraded by now, but planes were deferred. The company is not obligated to pay those pilots any additional compensation because they modified their business model.

So what do you do? You move forward with your complaints, but I would be careful about placing numbers in guys heads on what they are owed. That will only cause more undue frustration for your members.

I am absolutely shocked that we have SWA pilots on here telling us that we should have negotiated our transition based on something "possibly" happening. What a load s$&t! This gets more comical by the day as the culture gets more tainted.

Don't judge our "culture" or our pilot group on what you read on FI. That is mistake number one.......

A few years ago, SWA had pilots that were forced back to f/o. No matter how loud they screamed or how much they complained, they were not given one penny for their "lost" compensation. You might be able to use the breach of contract argument, but you will have a difficult time gaining any compensation over the argument.

You have to remember that SWA has the right to change or modify it's fleet plans. There are many guys that should have upgraded by now, but planes were deferred. The company is not obligated to pay those pilots any additional compensation because they modified their business model.

So what do you do? You move forward with your complaints, but I would be careful about placing numbers in guys heads on what they are owed. That will only cause more undue frustration for your members.

That scenario exists at every airline. We too had downgrades even furloughs after 2008. New hires promised 3 year upgrades turned to 6-9 years. It's all relative. We accepted the deal with SWA because GK did not want it to go to arbitration. He went on about running AT seperately. We all know this. This is more than just deferring a few aircraft. It's about an agreement that he made with both pilot groups to avoid arbitration.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back