Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Former Marine Helo, current Reg FO to ANG?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dukeflr

A$$ Kickin' Chicken
I would really apreciate everyone's opinion on my chances of transitioning to an ANG unit. I'm mainly interested in a tanker or airlift unit. No interest in pulling G's on a regular basis. I am a former Marine Helo driver that has been out for about three years now, living in the DFW area. I am currently flying as a regional EMB-145 FO. I have 1500-2000 hours of fixed wing time. With about 1000 as turbine multi part 121. I am pretty sure my military record and flight time would make me competive but there are a couple of hurdles that may not be waverable. I am 34 years old. Probably not a big deal since I was an O-3 with 10 years active duty. My biggest concern is medical in nature. I was medically discharged "Due to a disability recieved in the line of duty". It was an injury that prevented me from running. No squadron runs, no Fitness test. I still am not able to run, but can ride the bike with the best of 'em! This injury ONLY prevents running, nothing else. Now for the questions.

1. Do you feel NO Running is waverable? I know some Air Force people do the bike fitness test. Could I just do this? Would I be deployable?
2. Do former Navy/Marines have to go through UPT all over again. Would I start in the T-37/T-6 training again, or jump to T-1? It might get interesting flying with the low time 1stLt instructors. All part of the fun!!
3. I have been reading the online info here and at baseops. Is there a book out there called something simular to "Insiders Guide to the Guard"?
4. Are there units around the surrounding states that you would recommend for me to "Rush"? Should I call OPS direct? I have read NO recruiter multiple times.

Any info you have would be greatly appreciated. I would love to be part of a good guard unit, and continue to serve. I am really concerned about the whole former medical discharge satus.

Thanks in advance,
Duke

Duke,

Right now the guard fitness test involves a "strenuous" step test!! If you can step up and down repeatedly for a minute and not keel over...you will pass, it also involves crunches and push-ups.

As to transitioning...you will have to go thru flight training (just changed a year or so ago). I know it involves T-1's, but not sure about T-37/38 followed by CCTS at Altus.

Not sure about mother units, but we have several former Helo guys, mostly Marine (myself included). Seems that the trick is a combination of persistance and timing.

Guard tankers in BHM/TYS/FOE/DSM( I think)

Good luck!!

Gil Sass

I don't know, a medical discharge and your age. I'd say you have a major up hill battle.

While the step test in the Guard blows away what you Marines did for PT, you will have to go to UPT, and they do run, and run often. The age thing comes into play because of the UPT requirement.
It might get interesting flying with the low time 1stLt instructors. All part of the fun!!
Humm, are you suggesting you'd have something to offer? I wouldn't think so.

Dukeflr-

CCDiscoB is right about your uphill battle. I think the best thing for you to do is to contact an AF Flight Surgeon or Brooks AFB to find out the straight scoop.

One aspect that I disagree with CCDiscoB on is that I think that you have a lot to offer. You have training command, front line military, and civilian experience while the average First Assignment Instructor Pilot (FAIP) has only training command to fall back on. You don't have to do UPT (flight school) again, unless your guard unit wants you to. I know that for a fact, because I went from USMC pilot to AF pilot with nothing but paperwork. Many Guard and Reserve units want you to go thru UPT anyway because they have a slot and they want you to prove yourself. If I were you, I'd take whichever course they want me to take. On the plus side, you get months of AD pay and you get to see the AF way of flying. On the minus side, you have to be the pilot in the fish bowl (again) for months on end.

There have been plenty of weak pilots in the past who have set a reputation in place. Do not be the one who spends too little time on switching to the AF mind set. There is only one "right" way, and that is the AF way. Period.

You'll probably run into plenty of road blocks and plenty of people who only know one way through the system (their way).

Do yourself a favor and research the regs yourself...it'll pay huge dividends.

Send me a PM if you want advice from a USMC to USAF convert.

Kuma

Thanks Gil and Kuma,

I really apreciate your time and opinions. It is obviously clear who the selfless proffesionals are out of the three who responded. CCDiscoB, I agree that I have a long shot at best. First, you are mistaken about the age issue. Rated aviators from other services may attend a Fixed Wing Qual. No different than an AF Helo Bubba transitioning, so age isn't an issue. Now, regarding my FAIP comment: I would have been more than happy to apolagize if it offended you, but you sir lack some real class. My comment that "flying with the Lt instructors might get interesting" was directed at the very attitude you have displayed. You feel that no one could possibly have anything to offer if they have taken a differnet path than you. I may be wrong here but I think I might have at least SOMETHING to offer. I have 3000hrs, have operated on/off a ship, time on the goggles, aerial refueled, actually flown outside of the country, flown a tactical a/c, have knowledge of actual weapons systems, oh yeah, I have instructed close to 1000hrs in FIXED WING A/C. I likely would have more instructor time than most of the FAIPs. So yes, I might have something to offer. I would not go rolling in to Vance letting everyone know what my background was either. The lowest time 1stLt knows way more about Air Force aviation than me and I am well aware of it.

Although I am less than happy with your comment directed at me personally, I am more concerned with your general disrespect towards Marines. After your response to my post, I remembered some F-15 bubba blasting Marine aviation in the past. I'm really not sure why you would disrespect fellow servive members, especially a service that has sacraficed so much. Anytime you get the urge to blast Marine air or feel you can provide CAS for MY Marines, I want you to do a google/yahoo search for "Captain Seth Michaud". Read up. This is why Marines will provide our own CAS. Enough said....

Hey Kuma, did you instruct for the DoerBirds? I seem to remember meeting a cobra driver there with a simular call sign.

Thanks Again,
S.F.
Duke

We had a former USMC H-53 driver get picked up by a USAFR C-130 unit. Since he flew the T-34C they considered him a former fixed wing military aviator. He was flying for us as a DA-20 Captain at the time. He had to go to Little Rock for about 7 months to get checked out as C-130 driver, no T-37/38 time at all. I believe there a number of units around the country that are looking for pilots and consider just about anyone who meets there minimum qualiifaction

dukeflr said:
I am more concerned with your general disrespect towards Marines.
I hear what your saying. I have nothing against Marines, I've been in a few squadrons with either Marine exchange pilots or an actual transfer to ANG. Great pilots. My attitude stems from my preception that Marines disrespect the AF. When I was in Desert Storm we were attached to a Marine base, and my feeling was that we were clearly not welcome. The enlisted were told to stay away from the Marines, and in our barracks we were prohibited from going downstairs where the Marine pilots were. Now why was that, I always wondered. My only conclusion was the Marine's general disdain for the AF.
Dukeflr, have you ever bad mouthed the AF? Perhaps you never have, but I do get a kick out Marines that bash the AF until they get out and are suddenly looking for AF Guard and Reserve jobs.
...feel you can provide CAS for MY Marines..
I do.
I want you to do a google/yahoo search for "Captain Seth Michaud". Read up
I will, and I'll get back to you.

Latest resources

Back