Foreign to FAA type conversion

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

GhettoBeechjet

I have a friend who has been working overseas for several years as a wide body capt. He has been flying on a license issued in the country where he working. he has has an unrestricted US ATP with several type ratings. Has anyone been thru the process of conversion and if so what is the least painful way to do it?

Does the FAA still honor foreign type ratings? I thought they had stopped with this policy. Your best bet is to call the international FSDO in NY.

It's done all the time. Guys get Chinese 787, 330 etc. they then come back here or Canada and pay for it out of pocket to have one of the training centers run you through a short course.

It's done all the time. Guys get Chinese 787, 330 etc. they then come back here or Canada and pay for it out of pocket to have one of the training centers run you through a short course.

But they have to take a course! Still $$$

The FAA does not validate foreign licenses except for those seeking PPL privileges. One can apply for a US license, and after taking the appropriate written and practical exam, be awarded a FAA pilot certificate. Foreign type ratings are also not recognized except one may qualify for a "short course" based on experience in type, and as stated above would involve spending a considerable sum on the course and type rating practical exam.

Except, I do believe that the US does recognize Canadian certificates.

Rightfully so. You got a foreign license/type, fly a foreign registered airplane. I flew YV registered AC and HK registered AC and I got a certificate from their authority that was valid for 30 days.

Seth..I would think the question is as a holder of an FAA ATP, as well as a foreign ATP, can any type ratings on the foreign certificate be transferred to the FAA ATP...I was told a while back that the FAA would issue a "P2" rating, but for a "P1" a type conversion short course would be required...any other info or corrections would be appreciated

I may in the future find myself in the situation of having a foreign type and not a FAA one, my understanding is you're stuck with a short course and a PC to add to FAA. For a PIC rating, that is.

Latest resources

Back