• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Forced Landing Poll

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not high on hours at ~1250 nor terribly serious issues, but I've experienced two forced landings in singles. One was due to a cowling that came apart and the other a rapidly rising oil temp. No multi shutdowns in ~200 hrs. One instance was while receiving training and the other was while giving it. Made it to an airport both times, thankfully. I'd imagine off-airport landings could sure be a hassle.

One of our Chieftains had a prop feather itself in flight while the engine was running (and continued to run). Wish I could take credit for that one!

3600 in piston airplanes/0 failures.

One cylinder failure directly over an airport at about 100 hrs. None since. Learned to ALWAYS know where the nearest suitable landing spot is.

One of our 1900s had a prop feather on the takeoff roll with the engine still running.. Had another one go into ground fine at 50 feet.. That wasn't fun!!

1000 or so piston/ 1 electrical fire

In 2700 hours of piston time (2300 as a CFI/CFII/MEI), one forced landing, fortunately directly over an airport. Broken valve. My brother, with about 4000 total piston time has had one. That was in a Cherokee Six that we both owned so it could of happened a second time to me. Again, directly over an airport, cylinder came loose.;)

One multi engine shutdown resulting in a landing (density alt above SE ceiling) Made it to a private strip.

One split flap in the pattern 172.

One blown oil seal in a 152 made it back to the field under power.

952hrs piston

1350 Total Piston with one forced landing on a freeway.

4000 turbine with 33 engine failures/fires........about half of those are v1 cuts. Sometimes we had smoke in the cockpit. 4 dual engine failures. Only 1 approach down to mins with the peanut gauges, all sorts of hydraulic failures resulting in split flaps, fluid leaks, and not able to get the gear down. Hmmm.........come to think about it that was all in the sim. So I have about 4000 turbine hours with zero engine failures. Hope that helps

Yeah, the simulators my company uses are pieces of crap too. You'd think a fifteen million dollar video game would be able to get from point A to point B without catching on fire, losing cabin pressure, having engine seizures, etc. multiple times on the way!

Latest resources

Back