For you more experienced IFR Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

desertdog71

I was wondering about Vestibular Disorientation, Vertigo, whatever you want to call it.

I am doing Hood training right now, for my Instrument Rating. Today my CFI and I took the opportunity to fly some Actual IMC. While in IMC, I started feeling a Yawing(spinning) sensation. This was contrary to the instrument readings. My CFI said this is normal and will lessen or go away with experience.
I never lost control or turned over control to my CFI, but I did have a hard time concentrating on what I was doing. Have any of you experienced guys dealt with this? I just need some more reassurance that its normal I guess.

Thanks

Don't worry about it too much. I had that a couple of times when I first started instrument training back in the dark ages. It will go away. Just trust the instruments and try to keep you scan going.

The feelings you are describing have to do with your vestibular canals or your motion sensing system. It is perfectly normal and it is partly why you practice unusual attitudes under the hood...to teach yourself to trust the instruments and not what your body is feeling. I suggest reading Aim chapter 8 if you havent already. Medical Facts for pilots, it will explain many of the "illusions in flight" in that section and should help to clear up some of what you are feeling.

flyingnome said:
The feelings you are describing have to do with your vestibular canals or your motion sensing system. It is perfectly normal and it is partly why you practice unusual attitudes under the hood...to teach yourself to trust the instruments and not what your body is feeling. I suggest reading Aim chapter 8 if you havent already. Medical Facts for pilots, it will explain many of the "illusions in flight" in that section and should help to clear up some of what you are feeling.

I fully understand what and why I am feeling it. I just wanted to know if it was "Normal"

I honestly did not expect to have these sensations. I have never had any balance issues, motion sickness or otherwise. I was Naive I guess. It was a good experience for me, and I learned from it.

I thought these things were isolated, but I have found in discussions so far that its quite common.

Thanks again for your input, it is appreciated.

no problem, I figued you understood when you mentioned the vestibular canals, but its always good to take a peek and read the symptoms after you have expirienced it for the first time. I find it to be rather interesting and yes it is quite common, the important thing is to recognize it, and trust your instruments so that you dont end up in the accident page of Flying Magazine.

flyingnome said:
no problem, I figued you understood when you mentioned the vestibular canals, but its always good to take a peek and read the symptoms after you have expirienced it for the first time. I find it to be rather interesting and yes it is quite common, the important thing is to recognize it, and trust your instruments so that you dont end up in the accident page of Flying Magazine.

I agree, it was a bit difficult to concentrate at first, but I pulled it together without CFI assistance. He also said it was common, but it helps to hear it from others as well. It definately showed me the importance of the Unusual Attitude recoveries that my CFI takes a sick pleasure in. :)

I felt the effects of disorientation coming on one dark night after taking off alone in a light twin commanche into a low overcast on a turning departure procedure. That wasn't a good feeling.

Ralgha said:
I felt the effects of disorientation coming on one dark night after taking off alone in a light twin commanche into a low overcast on a turning departure procedure. That wasn't a good feeling.
:) Nice!!

When I was new to IFR (real IFR...not hood, fog, etc. But REAL, turbulence, etc) it took some concentration. As you do more it will diminish. Especially from the hood. The hood hides all but the instruments. When you go real and see the cockpit, the nose, etc it is disorienting because you have more conflicting things to see. Hang in there you"ll get it soon.

I've never been in the goo and not had some degree of vertigo. I even get vertigo in motion-based simulators.

Fortunately, my training was good, and I have little trouble flying by the gauges -- and the vertigo doesn't make me queasy like aerobatics do -- however, I do a lot of crosschecking to make sure I'm not following a renegade attitude gyro somewhere I don't want to be.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back