For those who quit the regionals...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Timing, timing, timing.

After the USAF, I could not get hired at a regional, as I was not qualified (only had my ATP-MEL).

After 10 years of not flying, I was suddenly highly desirable, and was getting phone calls left and right. Got hired at a regional, but furloughed just after my sim check.

Got on at a -121 supplemental (didn't take recall back to the regional, and turned down other offers to go to the supplemental), was laid off, went overseas for 1+ years, and then hired at Atlas.

Atlas is the best job I ever had, and this year (my 2nd) at Atlas I will make the most money I have ever made, including when I was a Capt on flight pay in the USAF.

cliff
GRB

Sat behind a desk for a 10+ years, thought I could make my hobby of 15 years another career … looking back I really miss it...going to lunch with coworkers and customers, friends and family, get off when I needed, never missing the kids ball games or Xmas (huge), helping with homework, cookouts with friends, Saturdays at the lake, etc. I’m one of the lucky ones, after 5 years at this airline, working 4 day week typically means I get to see my family about 40% of the time, those that upgraded at 6 years will not see another weekend or vacation in July for another decade because there are to many senior not leaving. Sure you can go to a major and spend the next decade working weekends but that is not for me. Flying is a lonely job with a great deal of liability, lots of shear boredom in the air and in a hotel room. We spend a lot of time away not supporting our families, there is a lot of life that passes us by while we sit earning $1.80/hr in a hotel or airport. Then there is the fact we never do any strategic brain activity, no real decision making, its already planned out in the FOM or OM....we just turn left turn right park.... Do the same thing day in day out. No sense of accomplishment…..320+ hours per month away from base…paid for 75 hours…. this is the life (of a regional pilot). I’m just glad I only spent about $20k to get here….it all depends on what you want in life, living on the road out of a bag or with your family…I see a lot of stressed people that cant get out due to lack of other skills or being financially strapped, way to many broken homes …for me I’m over this, life does have a lot more to offer I’ve seen the other side and the grass was greener.

So what do you do exactly?

It is different today than twenty years ago. It is very difficult to point out why.

Twenty years ago the airline jobs seemed to be so much more competitive. Delta and Northwest hired almost 100% military. American 95%. United was dealing with affirmative action while Continental was considered a "Scab" airline. America West was a bit easier to get a job and Southwest required that $10,000 type rating for so few jobs available. (It cost 10 grand back then for the type). Others were just going out of business.

The "Regionals"(which they really were regional airlines back then) had higher minimum requirements and were just as competitive their own way to get a job. We flew up to 12 legs a day hand flying Metros or Jetstreams or Bandits of Beech 99s and 1900s etc, etc, etc. We flew over a hundred hours a month (part 135), lived on poverty wages and out of our cars at times. And were having the times of our lives making great friends for our lifetimes. We loved to fly.

Today, its tough to find a happy major pilot (unless you are SWA) and "Regional" pilots appear to be as unhappy about their job as ever. It appears over the past fifteen years it has just gotten worse as time has progressed without ever getting better Even when United got that incredible contract in the late 90's they didn't seem real happy. The "Regionals" have much better equipment and fly less but largely think their dream of flying for the airlines was a huge mistake.

There have always been some carriers with better reputations than others, but what happened?

One variable is the internet. Information and opinions now. Twenty years ago you would have to wait for the FAPA (not the Frontier union but what was before Air Inc) monthly news letter or magazine to see who was hiring what. There were only a couple businesses that offer interview prep and the famous Irv Jazinski who had the interview bible and personalized service. The only opinions were from those around you and the occasional run in from old buds at other airlines.

You read FI, Pprune and your own union forums and it is negative, negative, negative. Often time Masked individuals slinging personal insults on their dead time in hotels or days off when the kids and wife are away. I am as guilty as the next guy with this.

I am thinking that it is the internet that has brought a sense of entitlement to many who wish this business was different. Since the beginning of the industry, there have always been time away from home, missed holidays, football games, weddings and first steps because daddy and now mommy has to put food on the table and a roof over your head. I grew up in a Doctors family and I can say that I saw my father less than most all of us see our kids. Hour for hour we probably earned the same amount of money.

I still love my profession and an advocate for those who share my love for aviation. I do advise them to stay off the boards. I swear it is was taints even the most positive person.

Best of luck to us all.

Excellent post. For a while there in the 90's wasn't an upgrade in a Beech 1900 usually only going to people 4000 total time or more?

+ 1 SWAdude. Great post.

Unlike most of my AA peers, I still have a blast going to work - but that is my choice. I tend to be a happy person overall - great wife and kids, roof over my head, enough $$$ to pay bills and put some away. I'm 38 years old and holding a Europe line out of JFK on the 75/76, usually 3 on/4 off. I am CONSTANTLY surrounded by pilots at AA who have little black clouds over their heads. Who can blame them? There IS a lot of crap going on here at AA - stalled negotiations, hostile work environment, etc. But I've found that these guys who are constantly miserable have allowed their job/career to define who they are. They also view everything through a tiny little peephole that focuses straight ahead, without looking around and seeing the beautiful things life has to offer them. They don't have much perspective, and forgot where they came from.

I don't define myself by my job/career. I remember where I came from - regional puke myself - and I look around at those who have it way worse than me. I am thankful every day for my family and my good health. This makes me appreciate what I have today. That said - this IN NO WAY will prevent me from striking at AA for an industry leading contract and fighting for the best career for myself and my coworkers. I despise what our management has done to our fine airline and want my payback as well. If they go BK because of that, so be it - I'm done giving.

For those of you who choose to be miserable - there is a way out: prayer, perspective and self-value. Don't define yourselves by what you do for a living. You really will find freedom.

+ 1 SWAdude. Great post.

Unlike most of my AA peers, I still have a blast going to work - but that is my choice. I tend to be a happy person overall - great wife and kids, roof over my head, enough $$$ to pay bills and put some away. I'm 38 years old and holding a Europe line out of JFK on the 75/76, usually 3 on/4 off. I am CONSTANTLY surrounded by pilots at AA who have little black clouds over their heads. Who can blame them? There IS a lot of crap going on here at AA - stalled negotiations, hostile work environment, etc. But I've found that these guys who are constantly miserable have allowed their job/career to define who they are. They also view everything through a tiny little peephole that focuses straight ahead, without looking around and seeing the beautiful things life has to offer them. They don't have much perspective, and forgot where they came from.

I don't define myself by my job/career. I remember where I came from - regional puke myself - and I look around at those who have it way worse than me. I am thankful every day for my family and my good health. This makes me appreciate what I have today. That said - this IN NO WAY will prevent me from striking at AA for an industry leading contract and fighting for the best career for myself and my coworkers. I despise what our management has done to our fine airline and want my payback as well. If they go BK because of that, so be it - I'm done giving.

For those of you who choose to be miserable - there is a way out: prayer, perspective and self-value. Don't define yourselves by what you do for a living. You really will find freedom.

To you, too....+1.

I wish this forum had a "like" or rating system.

Left the regional world for the first offer I got after applying for every overseas gig on the planet, even Africa, as I felt the US employers could do what they wanted because of a dearth of supply from the flight schools.

Got interesting overseas gig on a 744 which led to B777 at EK.

Wouldn't dream of giving up what I have now in terms of lifestyle - live in maid, chauffeur to work, great hotels, five bath villa in gated community, first 92k tax free, cash per diem on check in at great hotels, pvt club memberships, quick upgrade, great destinations, six weeks vacay (essentially nine if you work it) etc.

Still cannot understand my buddies who looked at me in horror when I headed overseas to a strange city.

Where are they now? - many still at the regionals wishing they had come but now unable due to family, kids, seniority etc.

Word to the wise - get out of the regionals if you can get heavy time - no matter where it is.

You will never look back - but more importantly you will drink beer in every corner of the earth and and be able to tell your grandkids about a great adventure.

Just do it

good luck

fv

Last edited:
Have never considered leaving aviation....even after 2 furloughs, company BK etc..

(I've tried to do non-flying jobs to get me by while on furlough, but have a hard time responding to an office worker questioning if I have the ability to manage because I don't have experience working for "anycompany.com." as a regional data influence associate..Or whatever position companies create to feel important.)

Did the regional thing, went charter/corporate. Got laid off after '09. Luckily now have the experience to hopefully be competative in the Majors world..

Fareview, you're obviously NOT married:D.. For alot of us, flying is a way to pay the bills, but wouldn't trade my family for any flying job. Having a kid is by far the most gratifying experience of my life. I've never laughed as much as I do with my 3 yr. old daughter. Each man is different.

Latest resources

Back