• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

For those that just love DHL and hate to see them go

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why do you feel you're "ENTITLED" to your job?

Is there ever a point where a corporation can reduce its workforce? If so, when? Are you advocating full employment until bankruptcy?

What's YOUR solution to halting the $1BILLION+ loss in the US each year?

BBB

Ya know BBB, what's your beef here? These are ABX/Astar crewmembers that are concerned for their jobs. Why does any of this make a difference to you? What do you have to gain or lose if this deal happens to go through?

For someone that is a supposed UPS pilot you sure have a lot of interest in this.

Oh, and one last question: How many screen names do you have on this forum "Rhoid"? aka Big Beer Belly?

McCain expected to campaign in Wilmington By William Hershey | Saturday, July 26, 2008, 03:42 PM Republican John McCain is expected to campaign in Wilmington and possibly in the Dayton area at the beginning of August. At the Wilmington visit, McCain is expected to discuss the potential loss of 8,200 jobs because of DHL’s plans to turn its air-freight operation in Wilmington over to UPS’ hub in Louisville, a Republican official close to the McCain campaign said on Saturday, July 26. McCain campaign officials have been in touch with those in Wilmington who would be affected by the potential job loss, the official, who declined to be named, said. McCain was in Ohio on Thursday, July 24, to speak in Columbus at a presidential town hall meeting on cancer at the LIVESTRONG Summit, sponsored by the Lance Armstrong Foundation. Looks like your super hero obama isn't the only one that can take action on the matter.

Last edited:
Your one point is empty.
UPS contributes more to Republicans than Democrats.

41% to Democrats, 59% to Republicans
http://www.opensecrets.org/pacs/lookup2.php?strID=C00064766

And taking a position against this deal is NOT taking a position against the Teamsters.
"The International Brotherhood of Teamsters remains committed to fighting to protect our members’ jobs in the DHL System"
http://www.teamster.net/redirect.ph...urces/dhlexpress/directormesssageaboutdhl.asp

Do you want to fight for your job or not?

First of all, I have been in a letter writing campaign already, making my contribution to the cause.

You obviously don't understand politics. If Sen Obama was so concerned about this deal, why didn't he make a stop while in Germany at the DPWN headquarters? Just think of the photo op and the press he would have recieved if he had done that. Also, think of how bad it would have looked if Appel would have refused to meet with him.

Don't kid yourself about the Teamsters. UPS is their largest shop, and this deal means a big boost to the larger of their membership. The teamsters are just as guilty of playing politics as the rest of them.

(and to be fair, ALPA is no better when it comes to political games either)

McCain expected to campaign in Wilmington
I think both campaigns are smart enough to see this issue as having the potential to swing Ohio's electoral votes. If you assume Ohio will be pivotal in November, then you can't ignore this issue. The UPS/DHL deal could swing the Southwest Ohio vote, which could swing the state's electoral votes.

I'm sure Obama would love to take that traditional Republican vote, and I'm sure McCain wants to do everything he can to keep it.

It's a unique opportunity to have some influence. I'm sure the Germans hadn't planned on this. We'd be stupid not to take advantage.

If Sen Obama was so concerned about this deal, why didn't he make a stop while in Germany at the DPWN headquarters? Just think of the photo op and the press he would have recieved if he had done that. Also, think of how bad it would have looked if Appel would have refused to meet with him.
Obama isn't concerned about this deal. He's concerned about getting elected. You didn't really think he'd make an issue of this while he was in Germany, did you? His stop in Germany was for a wider audience than just Ohio.
Don't kid yourself about the Teamsters. UPS is their largest shop, and this deal means a big boost to the larger of their membership. The teamsters are just as guilty of playing politics as the rest of them.
I've already linked you to the Teamster position. Trust me, we (1224) have the Teamster's ear on this.

Rotor, you can choose what's more important for yourself. Winning a stupid internet argument with me or fighting for your job

Last edited:
Ya know BBB, what's your beef here? These are ABX/Astar crewmembers that are concerned for their jobs. Why does any of this make a difference to you? What do you have to gain or lose if this deal happens to go through?

For someone that is a supposed UPS pilot you sure have a lot of interest in this.

Oh, and one last question: How many screen names do you have on this forum "Rhoid"? aka Big Beer Belly?

The overwhelming sense of entitlement displayed by numerous Astar posters here frankly blows me away. My question remains. Why do you feel you are "entitled" to these jobs?

DHL is hemorrhaging one $BILLION+ per year in its US ops and your solution is to march around and demand momma DHL continue to provide the tit for you to suckle. You all are irrational if you think any corporation can sustain those operational losses year after year and remain competitive. Instead of marches, protests and DEMANDS of employment, you might consider providing a solution to DHL's predicament.

BBB

The overwhelming sense of entitlement displayed by numerous Astar posters here frankly blows me away. My question remains. Why do you feel you are "entitled" to these jobs?

DHL is hemorrhaging one $BILLION+ per year in its US ops and your solution is to march around and demand momma DHL continue to provide the tit for you to suckle. You all are irrational if you think any corporation can sustain those operational losses year after year and remain competitive. Instead of marches, protests and DEMANDS of employment, you might consider providing a solution to DHL's predicament.

BBB

I'm wondering why you feel "entitled" to tell us we shouldn't fight. I'm further wondering why anyone is wasting any bandwidth responding to you. Especially since it is quite evident you have no understanding of what is going on with DPWN/DHL, beyond press releases.

Hvy,

EVENTUALLY you'll arrive at the inevitable conclusion that you are NOT entitled to employment in a capitalist system. Once you internalize this your next move in life becomes obvious and productive for your future, vice your current useless, repetitive chant, "Save Our Jobs!"

I'd suggest you begin marketing your skills to another (hopefully more stable) employer.

I've had enough of this topic... ciao.

BBB

Hvy,

EVENTUALLY you'll arrive at the inevitable conclusion that you are NOT entitled to employment in a capitalist system. Once you internalize this your next move in life becomes obvious and productive for your future, vice your current useless, repetitive chant, "Save Our Jobs!"

I'd suggest you begin marketing your skills to another (hopefully more stable) employer.

I've had enough of this topic... ciao.

BBB

Uhh, that's the APWU's chant. Your ignorance is showing.

BBB

BBB, this is not as black and white as your posts try to make it out to be. Your "entitled" to the jobs argument is way off target. Just so you look a little deeper than you have, remember the two companies here, ABX and DHL (prior to the German invasion) had their US business. Airborne Express was number 3 and then the new German DHL comes in and destroys it then goes running to UPS trying to make a deal that does NOT address the reason they lost all of the Airborne market share. And they are trying to do this without even talking to the two companies. If ABX and Astar feel they are "entitled" to anything, my guess it would be a sit down with DHL to try and find a solution to their problems before they just toss two long standing US companies aside. But I guess since that does not include UPS, you would object in one way or another.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back