for the XJ guys

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Hollywood82

I just took a job with Mesaba. It looks like class sometime late this summer/early fall. Any idea what domicile to expect? And what to expect from XJ, as an employee? Any pointers would be appreciated as well.

I know noone knows which domiciles or aircraft for sure, but I wouldn't mind listening to some speculation right now. Every flight crew I've talked to seems happy and positive.

I look forward to seeing all of you at XJ this fall.

Congrats on the job. Expect to be at the end of a long line seniority wise... Lots of reserve probably in your future. You are about a year late to be sitting nicely.

I just took a job with Mesaba. It looks like class sometime late this summer/early fall. Any idea what domicile to expect? And what to expect from XJ, as an employee? Any pointers would be appreciated as well.

I know noone knows which domiciles or aircraft for sure, but I wouldn't mind listening to some speculation right now. Every flight crew I've talked to seems happy and positive.

I look forward to seeing all of you at XJ this fall.
Guessing domiciles would be hard. When we first were awarded the CRJ900 and CRJ200 we were told the 200 would only be in MSP and the 900 breakdown would be 18 DTW 5 MEM 13 MSP and that they would staff by the first few 900s to MSP then all 18 to DTW THEN staff MEM and finish MSP. That plan has not been followed, so no one will have accurate info for you until a vacancy is posted. Based on staffing numbers of 5 FO's per airplane, my guess for you would be DTW....maybe MSP, but not MEM. You can trade domiciles whenever there is an opening though, so getting where you want shouldn't be too much of a problem. Trading aircraft normally is not allowed until you have been here 3 years with no chance to upgrade. Right now they have been releasing seatlocks (for some), but doing that seatlocks you and could slow your upgrade possiblities. When you get a class date ask again, we should be able to tell you where the new hires are slated to go, based on vacancy.

Paid from day one, single occupancy-paid hotel during training, travel bennies form day one. Training will tell you everything you need to know for checkrides. Bring a good attitude and you will have a great time.

Last edited:
When should I bring up my domicile preference? When they call me for a class? Should I even ask at all? I don't want to appear ungrateful.

When should I bring up my domicile preference? When they call me for a class? Should I even ask at all? I don't want to appear ungrateful.

I would ask out of the gate, the interview isn't even too early, but since you're past that I would certainly communicate any preference you may have to HR...it cannot hurt as long as you aren't demanding anything.

As for what'll happen, it will depend upon the aircraft first, then your age in class-you will bid on the bases (if any) are available.

Welcome aboard...you made a good choice.

Advise as follows:

Please were your proper uniform while in Public...There is a certain MEM Saab street captain that Walks the airport without his tie...looks like a retard

Don't refer to the CRJ900 as "THE 9" That has been taken by the DC9 for the last 45 years...

If you are awarded the 900 remember you were NOT HAND PICKED...in fact your more than likely less of a pilot...

Please act, look, and behave with self respect...Some of the new folks are having a hard time with this... For example:

Fist fighting with the 200 guys over who's airplane is better...

Wearing your Ipod in Public

Wear your uniform...not a Pedimont or another uniform if you have one...

Don't were your Northface fleece

DO NOT bring a Backpack...your not going to class or camping...

Don't hang your sunglasses from your shoulder bars..

Don't tell ever "chic" your a pilot, unless you follow that up with "I make 20,000/year,"

Pretty simple really...just have a good attitude.

I agree with everything said but just as a side note, I've only regularly seen 2 guys wearing the black fleece in lieu of the coat in DTW, and they are both rather well liked captains who've been with the company for quite some time.

Advise as follows:

Please were your proper uniform while in Public...There is a certain MEM Saab street captain that Walks the airport without his tie...looks like a retard

Don't refer to the CRJ900 as "THE 9" That has been taken by the DC9 for the last 45 years...

If you are awarded the 900 remember you were NOT HAND PICKED...in fact your more than likely less of a pilot...

Please act, look, and behave with self respect...Some of the new folks are having a hard time with this... For example:

Fist fighting with the 200 guys over who's airplane is better...

Wearing your Ipod in Public

Wear your uniform...not a Pedimont or another uniform if you have one...

DO NOT bring a Backpack...your not going to class or camping...

Don't hang your sunglasses from your shoulder bars..

Don't tell ever "chic" your a pilot, unless you follow that up with "I make 20,000/year,"

Pretty simple really...just have a good attitude.

Ouch! Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I know some of the wonderkids act like this, but I've been flying for long enough to know the common sense things. I'm just new to 121... not aviation.

As for the plane, I don't care. It's just another panel and set of systems. Besides, everyone knows the SA227 is the coolest plane in existance, and I've already flown that... hahaha. Just looking for QOL and a professional work environment.

Domeciles

unless they change how they are awarding domeciles, someone from training will come into class in the first or second week, tell you what bases have openings and they will go based on seniority order for you to pick your base. In your new hire class, seniority will be based on your birthday.. the oldest person will have the highest seniority, and the youngest the lowest.
I wouldn't worry about it too much until after that. There isn't as much movement between bases as there was a year ago, but there is still a very good chance to move to the base you want if you don't get your choice the first time.

Bases also depend on what airframe you are assinged, which will happen before class starts. Saabs and -900s are in all three doms, while the -200 is only in MSP. I think that MSP saab fo is the most senior fo seat right now.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back