• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

For anyone considering PSA - please read this post

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There are minor differences; some things better, some things worse, but life at PSA sounds eerily like life at RAH.

That explanation that LyodChristmas gave sounds pretty standard to me for flying at a regional. It is what it is. I flew at a regional for several years; didn’t have a union to protect us, and probably worked harder for less money. I'm a little tired of all you guys with 500 hours, that jump on the regionals with the ink still drying on your certificates, whom then complain about the hard airline life. If this was 5 or more years ago, you would have need a couple of thousand hours just to be looked at. The guys back in the 80s had to work for years flying freight at night just to build several thousand hours….just enough to get a regional job. You should appreciate the job opportunity you have. Life is never going to be easy at a regional. The company knows that they can replace you with a hundred other guys willing to work harder than you and get paid less, so that is why things will never be great at a regional. You think the major airline life is going to be better? Yeah, you will get paid more, but it will be the same old stuff going on. If you hate where you work at, look at corporate flying, look at the fractionals, look at charter. There are many different things to do out there.

And a friend of mine retired in the top 25 of United, before concessions and bankruptcy. He was hired with less tha 275 hours and without an instrument rating. Not bad for a guy who made more than $350/hour on the 747-400!!!

Pilot are their own worst enemy: "I just need the time, I'll fly for free." It's like saying my parents left the planet a complete piece of sh*t, so I'll leave it the same way for my kids!

We, pilots as a whole, should be raising the bar not lowering it and not accepting the "that's how it is at the regionals, fractionals, nationals, LCC's, etc."

I must say these are some of the best posts I've seen on here in a long time.

We're Pilots we shouldn't be treated like this!

I really think we are coming to the point where we are all going to start fighting back. Whether it be the unions growing more of a backbone, the pilots getting the word on the street to guy at flight schools about how bad of a job it is, or whatever. It seems like we might be turning a cornor on "taking it back"! It's due time we start thinking out of the box on how to take some shots at management!

The pilot group can't all get on one page because we have too many people with different agenda's. PSA has 5 year FO's waiting to upgrade; Lifers; guys that have interviews soon with majors; and Jet for Jobs guys who are pissed because they are being held 9 month. So everyone wants the union to fight for different things so most of the time nothing is accomplished.

This HAS been the reason for the weak contract right? You kind of make it clear that the guys with interviews at the majors will be leaving and we know the J4J recalls start soon so they'll all be out of the picture in a year or so at the most. Leaves at little room for optimism ey?

This is no doubt a place to get some time. Probably fly about 90 hours a month right?

Thanks for posting info on what to expect at more than just a few regionals. As the cost of student training goes up and the more students or prospective students learn all this, they'd be wise not to accumulate 80-120 grand in debt just to get there. There may be a pilot shortage brewing. I like to think so 'cause it makes me feel so f'ing special! (I know, I know....stop kidding myself.)

Anyway, looks like you guys are living kind of a lower end freight dawg lifestyle flying human cargo. Many folks out there are used to the QOL of life and schedule you are experiencing. They just don't have to shave, dress nice, or play nice as they fly boxes or have to deal with "FBO rot" as they sit around for much more than just 4 hours sometimes (the time you posted) waiting for another plane or the courier.

Sucks about the slam and clickers you mentioned. Take charge and go have some fun, hitch hike out to a titty bar or something. I kid.

Aaaanyway. I say be careful, don't burn your bridges too badly there. So many are quitting, why don't you just join them. That sends the message to management. I know some of you all have been there many years and that it used to be an awesome job so you're kind of locked in and all but you've got to do what you've got to do.

To me the regionals equal great training and experience that reward you with turbine PIC in a certain time frame. If anything in that formula is not happening (bad training, not flying so not building experience, or no upgrade in sight) then it's time to move on quickly and cut your losses.

Any word on the Hotel in JAN? Is it as crappy as all the rest? Is there somewhere to eat? Anyone? Bueller?

no place to eat. set your alarm to eat breakfast in the lobby or you will go hungry. Nice outside doors facing the interstate that you have to walk down a dark alley to get too. need i say more?

Latest resources

Back