• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

For all of us who left the airlines....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Anybody else remember Al Haynes, the United pilot who flew a DC-10 with no hydraulics into Sioux City about 20 years ago? He continued to talk about it on the motivational speaker tour for years after the event. I think Sully is probably headed for the same fate. He can retire from USAir and make a crapload of money telling the story over and over.

I figure the book deal will be announced any day now and will be on Amazon by June.

but you don't have to worry about poor little ol' me. I'm doing just fine flying for an airline. Thanks anyways. :rolleyes:.

Good for you. I worked at three airlines. 2 exist only in history books and the 3rd went through bankruptcy and is headed for the history books....

No one on the planet would argue that flying for the airlines has lost all resemblance of what it use to be. Sully took the opportunity to reiterate that fact.

This is not a NetJets vs. Airlines thread.

I don't know your background Wolfpack so I won't comment on what your perspective might be. Compared to a regional job NJA is a huge improvement. Compared to a good legacy/major NetJets may not fare so well depending on each individual's likes/dislikes. When I compare my current job (3rd year FO at B6) to a 3 year guy at NJA I don't see any big difference. They both seem to be pretty decent places to work. Each has it's pros and cons, but nobody I fly with is lamenting they aren't at NetJets. It just isn't anything we think about. I'm glad you're content with your current job, but you don't have to worry about poor little ol' me. I'm doing just fine flying for an airline. Thanks anyways. :rolleyes:

As far as Sully speaking out, I'm glad he's using his 15 minutes of fame to voice his opinion. Frankly, I think he's pissing into the wind. Nobody is going to change anything just because Sully says so. This entire industry is driven by supply and demand. Until there is a legitimate shortage of professional pilots not a whole lot is going to change.

I don't think he's talking about you, I'm looking at the title and it reads "for all those of us who left the airlines"...... One more clue might be the fact this thread is in the fractional side of this forum. I'm not saying you can't participate, not at all, you're more than welcome, what I'm saying he's referring to those of us who left an airline.

I do agree with you, everyone is different, with different agendas. Some of you want nothing to do with corporate flying, some of us ex-airliners want nothing to do with the airlines anymore.

Last edited:
Hey wolfy how's it hanging. You're not going to believe who i'm flying with this week. Lets just say RTRHD is smaller than my bag.

Yeah, I know a guy who drives a bread truck ! He make twice what I did, when I was working, He and his wife do what they want, when they want. Their kids college Ed is paid for. He's on track to retire at 60. Nice for him, did it all with no student loans, and he's home every night. Like he says...."You got a title..I got a life..."

Yeah he's driving a bread truck. No thanks, I'll take the mental stimulation of my job, and the challenging environment I work and train in over trying to decide sesame seeds on the buns or not.

Bingo! young Diesel, my point exactly. Shouldn't you make what the bread man makes? Or come close to it. Capt Sully is right, for everthing you do, you should be compensated for it. Aviation exacts it's toll in many ways.....Ask any corporate guy, with 10, 15, 20 years under the belt. Any 135 charter bepper dude, the freight dog, so on and so forth. Your gonna hear some stories. The thing that's really amazeing, most of US still wouldn't change a thing.

Diesel said:
Lets just say RTRHD is smaller than my bag.

I remember hauling your bag into the hold of a X once. I'm smaller than your bag! Warning - Diesel travels with a steamer trunk :)

RTRHD already made a comment as I was unloading it from the limo.......

Too bad his stubby little arms can't lift it into the baggage.

As a former 8 year flops guy and 4 year jb guy I thank the pilots at NJ for raising the bar in the fractional industry. I hope your next contract is better than the last.

Someone mentioned that nothing will happen until there is a shortage of pilots. I think sully is saying that as career minded professionals avoid taking the pilot career path the pay to attract talent will not go up as much as the experience requirement will go down. We all know that pilots need to start careers somewhere but in my opinion a 50,000 lb regional jet is not that place.

Latest resources

Back