• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Folks Feeling Blue

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It is truly scary that JetBlue didn't know how many hours pilots and FAs had flown and needed to call these people to find out. Short of a computer crash (and even then there should be backups) there is no excuse for an airline to not know how many hours a pilot can fly.

We even got a e-mail from the CEO asking us to send and e-mail as to where we are.... talk about losing complete control!

The recovery will take about as long as it takes Joe SixPack to click on the internet and see that JetBlew has a $69 special from Syracuse to Orlando, allowing him to take his wife and screaming kids to see Mickey.

Heyas,

This is the true word. However, the "People's Express" aura will may have worn out it's welcome.

Along with the pilots having a dose of reality the last six months, it looks as if JB may sink into the morass that is the mainstream airline biz.

We welcome you. No grudges.

Nu

If the American public wasn't so damned cheap B6 would cease to exist after this. It's amazing how it melted down on so many levels. If you tried to call their 1-800 number anytime after Wednesday the recording just says that "due to the volume of calls they can not answer your call at this time." In other words, passengers have no way to even inquire about their options (of which they have none anyway). Of course, grounding an entire portion of a fleet does wonders for meeting the needs of the paying public. How long until the gov't gets involved?

In today's "bare bone" staffed airline world, all of us are but one blizzard away from suffering the same meltdown. SWA could probably survive, but from what I see, every other airline is running so lean that the right combination of weather/etc, could put us into meltdown.

Hopefully, airline management across the board will take learn from this event and recognize that the business of moving people on time, in shiny aluminium tubes sometimes requires just slightly more than minimum staff and minimum management on duty.

And yes, regardless of the implications of this series of incidents at JetBlue, it IS time for airline Captains to start acting like the PIC again.

Enigma,

Most Majors have more than one hub, so some passengers can be rerouted thru other hubs and have a chance at making it to their intended destination. European connection on DL, for example, could have routed to ATL instead of JFK or CVG if there was room. Jetblue pax might not have had that option.

Bye Bye---General Lee

I am still trying to figure out why they canceled all of the E190 flights? I can understand canceling some flights so the JFK terminal isn't backed up with more pax, but how about flying one or maybe two of the scheduled flights to those affected cities? A lot of the E190 cities only have a few flights from JFK (like HOU, AUS, PIT, BNA, etc). Why park a whole fleet?

Bye Bye--General Lee

It was easier to cancel all E190 flying for 3 days than to figure out where crews and planes were.

Unfrickenbelieveable.

I'll probably be back to UA by June.

GP

We could all be witnessing the end of the airline -- any of us who work here will tell you: It's that bad. The recovery from this in terms of money, customer goodwill, resources, investor confidence, and employee trust is soo far in the future I am not sure it will even happen. The funny thing is, the story about stranding pax on the tarmac for 8 hours isn't even the real story. The real story is how fooked up this situation has become as a result of one storm, a situation that has now extened into Monday with the cancellation of all 190 operations on that day as well.
Southwest has run two airplanes off the runway and they're still around. Nobody got hurt. They all just got pissed off. Trust me when I say that they'll be back. I used to work at a regional on a turbo prop pissing people off on a daily basis, and they just kept coming and coming. NOT saying thats a good business plan but it sure looks like a lot of airlines plan does it not. We still have a lot of cash in the bank and I believe we will overcome this. A lot of analists (intentional misspell) feel the same way and that is why the stock has not crashed yet.

Southwest has run two airplanes off the runway and they're still around. Nobody got hurt. They all just got pissed off. Trust me when I say that they'll be back. I used to work at a regional on a turbo prop pissing people off on a daily basis, and they just kept coming and coming. NOT saying thats a good business plan but it sure looks like a lot of airlines plan does it not. We still have a lot of cash in the bank and I believe we will overcome this. A lot of analists (intentional misspell) feel the same way and that is why the stock has not crashed yet.

Maybe. But I ain't talking about the low fare crazy public. This will cost us MILLIONS in lost revenue, free tickets, pizza, holiday pay, rsa pay, glycol, marketing, vouchers, hotels -- shall I go on? That alone could kill us, in the sense that all of a sudden Neeleman is out (or better yet ousted, and he f-in should be) and guess what, jb is purchased/acquired/raided/stapled you name it by another carrier. What a great opportunity to put someone else's name on Terminal 5 (to be completed next year btw).

Oh and we are chartering other airlines to fly our pax. Nice. Shipping costs for bags? What else am I forgetting? Oh, yeah fuel taxiing around JFK and never actually going anywhere. Maybe we should have called our flights the "Goodfellas Tour of the Lufthansa Heist" and we could have avoided all of the outrage.

The kicker out of the "JB to People's Express Transition of 2007" is that from many accounts both jb and others, the JFK ATC and PANYNJ are complicit in all of this but the traveling public will not know nor care about such "minor" details.

Last edited:
Very well said... doesn't paint a pretty picture does it. What really kills me is that fact is that we management many times.

Very well said... doesn't paint a pretty picture does it. What really kills me is that fact is that we management many times.

We "what" management many times? Think you are missing a word.

The conspiracy to cover up the ineptitude will be just as massive as the meltdown.

Latest resources

Back