FO of Ebersol crash is suing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

timeoff

He is blaming inadequate training manuals not addressing icing thoroughly?

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/entertainment/15022491.htm

Copilot sues over Ebersol plane crash

Associated Press

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. - The copilot of the airplane that crashed in 2004, killing the youngest son of NBC Sports executive Dick Ebersol and two others, has filed a negligence lawsuit against the aircraft's maker, owner and charter company.
Eric Sloan Wicksell of Daytona Beach claims in the lawsuit that the plane was defective because operating and training manuals didn't disclose that it was highly susceptible to icing.
The National Transportation Safety Board concluded in May that the pilot's failure to carefully examine the wings for icing probably caused the crash.
The twin-engine Canadair crashed Nov. 28, 2004, as it was taking off from Montrose, Colo., killing 14-year-old Teddy Ebersol, pilot Luis Polanco-Espaillat and flight attendant Warren Richardson III.
Wicksell was injured, as were Dick Ebersol and another son, Charlie Ebersol.
The lawsuit, filed earlier this month in Broward County, seeks unspecified damages. Defendants include Montreal-based aircraft maker Bombardier Corp. and Hop-A-Jet Inc., a Fort Lauderdale-based charter service that owned the airplane.
Representatives of the companies did not return calls seeking comment Wednesday.

Last edited:
Another money-grubbing retard trying to make a buck off of his own f-ups. What a shame. I hope he gets the book thrown at him somehow. If I knew who he was and where he lived, I would throw the book myself! :angryfire

ooooo....thanks FAA, now I do know where he lives. Maybe a nice letter thanking him for trying to stain GA pilots is in order.

Last edited:
This is just sad. So when I screw up and kill a bunch of people, if I'm lucky enough to live through the ordeal, I can get a good lawyer and find someone to sue, because it most certainly won't be my fault.

Might as well sue every instructor this pilot ever had, they should have warned him about the dangers of icing on a wing. What were they thinking??

If this ever goes to court, I'd like to see how this guy is going to convince the jury that it somehow isnt part of every pilots education, even in Daytona Beach Florida, that icing can happen where there is moisture in any form.
Questions about icing are asked on his written exams, and it is discussed in detail in every book and oral guide going from private to ATP. I'm sure FAA also have records of the specific questions from his written, so they can show that at some point in his training, he correctly identified that icing can happen on any aircraft.

The next lawsuit could be a student pilot suing Cessna for not telling him in the POH that the airplane will stall and crash if he reduce the airspeed 50ft above the runway.

Edit: oh, and this guy came from Embry Riddle, FL.

Last edited:
We now have two threads on this subject.
Maybe the moderators can combine them.

One thing I don't understand, however, is how can he expect to win, how can he say, Oh everyone else is at fault, and it's not my fault we didn't check the wing for frost or ice before taking off.

I think this is a no win lawsuit, on his part. It also opens him up for further suits, naming him, based on his testimony. He should have thought this through a lot more than he did.

Latest resources

Back