• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FO of Ebersol crash is suing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-ap-wi-surprisevisit-law,1,4921429.story?coll=chi-news-hed

Surprise visit ends with lawsuit between daughter, mother
By RYAN J. FOLEY
Associated Press Writer

July 12, 2006, 5:17 PM CDT

MADISON, Wis. -- Happy birthday, Mom. I'll see you in court.

An Illinois woman is suing her Wisconsin parents for negligence, claiming a surprise birthday visit to her mother in January 2005 left the woman with a broken ankle after a fall on her parents' icy driveway.

A federal judge has refused to throw out the lawsuit, setting up a potential mother-daughter courtroom showdown at a trial scheduled for November.

The daughter, Carriel Louah, 25, is brandishing an apology letter from her mom as the smoking gun in her lawsuit seeking damages for medical bills and lost wages.

In the letter, dated months after the fall, Wendi Reichling wrote that she and her husband "should have fixed that dang (gutter) years ago. We have learned we have to take better care of our sidewalks."

On Jan. 14, 2005, Louah, of Rockford, Ill. traveled to Darlington, Wis. to surprise her mother on her birthday, which she was celebrating at a local tavern. Louah spent the night at the home of her mother and stepfather.

The next morning she slipped on their driveway, breaking her left ankle and injuring her foot and leg, according to court records.

She filed suit earlier this year, arguing that her parents should be held liable for damages for maintaining "an unnatural accumulation of ice" on their driveway. She alleges her parents' gutter was defective and they should pay her more than $75,000 in damages.

Her parents responded that she can't prove their driveway was icy at the time or that their drainage system was faulty.

In a ruling on Tuesday, U.S. District Judge John Shabaz refused to dismiss the lawsuit. He said a jury should decide whether "the allegedly defective condition allowed water to accumulate and later freeze on defendants' driveway which caused plaintiff to slip and fall."
:nuts:

It sounds like this guy found the same lawyer who once believed that since the airplane was still connected to the tug, the pilots were not yet in control of the aircraft.

FN FAL said:
Mother-daughter icy sidewalk lawsuit
Well now I've seen and heard everything.

No, scratch that. I probably haven't.

What I find amazing is the CPT had something like 10,000 hours of flight experience, a fair amount of it in jets and NO WINTER OPERATIONS EXPERIENCE.

Where the heck was this idiot flying for all that time that he never took a jet up north in the winter?

Sounds bizarre.

But then again, with no winter experience, I guess he didn't know what that stuff was sticking to the wings. OK, I guess it makes sense now.

VNugget said:
Well now I've seen and heard everything.

No, scratch that. I probably haven't.
Have you seen or heard a guy eating his own head? Then you haven't seen or heard everything.

ultrarunner said:
What I find amazing is the CPT had something like 10,000 hours of flight experience, a fair amount of it in jets and NO WINTER OPERATIONS EXPERIENCE.

I hate to be presumptious, but this Luis Polanco-Espaillat guy may have flown in a bunch of warm climate.

SPilot said:
Edit: oh, and this guy came from Embry Riddle, FL.

He spent most of his college career at DBCC then he went to Riddle for ONE semester. Everyone knows that we covered icing in the second semester.

i'mbatman said:
If this is for real, it sounds like a con job to me. Mom and daughter in on it together to win money. Insurance fraud?

In a ruling on Tuesday, U.S. District Judge John Shabaz refused to dismiss the lawsuit.
John Shabaz is a Federal District Judge, not an Appellate Judge, so I am assuming that he has looked at the facts in the civil suit filings and is willing to hear the case. Which means if any of them are found to be lying, it's in federal court. That can't end well, unless of course you're Ronald Reagan.

They'll find 12 morons with a 6th grade education who have been raised with the victim mentality. And they'll ask themselves, "wow, you mean to tell us that this big bad company never told the pilots they had to de-ice the the wings? Well, I don't care who you are that's negligent right there:D, how are the pilots suppossed to know, if somebody doesn't tell them?" $200 MILLION!

Latest resources

Back