FMS Operation (Dual vs. Int-Xfer)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
fokkerjet said:
Our policy is (if you want to call it that) is to set up the FMS on the ground, before you even move the aircraft. Once preflighted and confirmed by the other pilot, what changes can you do to screw up the works?

Gee, a re-route maybe????? A runway switch maybe? A different approach. A change in destination?

TONS of stuff.

Dual over land.

Initiated transfer over water.

Ahh, but the real question is how do you configure your 3 FMS's?

1) 1-2, 2-1, 1-3??

reason I brought this up is that I have found many people running in Dual.. (I WAS used to Init-Xfer)...

Our SOPs dictate DUAL also...I was also taught this way at DA900 school..I was a little leary at first, but whatever...no big deal. It IS less steps...Seems to be a Gulfstream thing to me and I have never flown a real Gulfstream...

I do kind of like being able to "proof" changes then send them over..makes sense to me..but as far as losing anything and not being able to recover it...I think most running dual only do so on aircraft with 3 FMSs, 2 running in dual and 3rd in Inti Xfer with the entire flight plan in it. I would think running InitXfer would be smart and neccessary in 2 FMS aircraft (poor guys:D )

Some folks also like the idea of going off Dual to Init at coast out points also..is that a technique some of you do?

maybe this all goes back to the Gulfstream vs. Falcon debate..

FMS config..

Recieving Flight Plans (Datalink):

1,2,3 in Dual.

In Flight:

1-2 DUAL
3 Init Xfer

ultrarunner said:
Gee, a re-route maybe????? A runway switch maybe? A different approach. A change in destination?

TONS of stuff.

If you can't trust your PNF to handle that stuff, you've got other issues in the cockpit other than if to operate in dual or init x-fer.

Not to start another issue, but are you prepared to go raw data if something happens to the FMS or are you totally reliant on the box to get you from A to B? We sidestep all the time at our home airport, the only change I enter is the new ILS frequency (if it has one) in the nav radio, no FMS updating, I've got the chart out incase I need to miss or I plan on a visual pattern. The biggest issue I've seen is when NOT TO go to the FMS.......fly the airplane first and get your head out of the inside of the cockpit and look around outside for traffic.

Last edited:
We used to use I-xfer on the 601 (NZ-2000) but use Dual on the 604 (Collins 6000). Took a while to get used to but seem to work really well.

FSI teaches, and our OPS use, dual in the ce750. Never had a problem. There are enough steps in the box without having to X fer from one to the other.

If you happen to have a "fat finger" day, the plane will still fly fine without FMS input. They did it for years, right?

I used to love watching people "dump" the GNS,s.
"What happened?"
You just made us /A
"What do I do?"
Open the map.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back