• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Gulfstream 200

Database Expert
Just curious,

What do your department SOP's say about FMS Operation??

Looking for opinions about running them in Dual or Init X-fer.

If modes differ for type of operation (Atlantic Crossing etc.) please note also!

Thanks!

Gulfstream 200 said:
Just curious,

What do your department SOP's say about FMS Operation??

If modes differ for type of operation (Atlantic Crossing etc.) please note also!

Thanks!

We use Initiated Transfer all the time...

Honeywell NZ-2000

Gulfstream 200 said:

We started off with Init X-fer with our F900's many years ago. When we got our Fokker's, Init X-fer was not an option so we were forced to operate in dual. That was about 9 years ago, since then we switched to dual on the GIV's, GV's and F900EX's (Honeywell) and the F2000 (Collins) and have never had a problem, or a problem that couldn't be corrected quickly (that goes for all pilot's, new or experienced with FMS's).

As for crossings, no differences with one exception. Our long range aircraft have 3 FMS's, FMS 1 & 2 are set up in dual, FMS 3 is a back up and most crews just enter origin and destination, then enter the coast out, lat/long points of the cleared route, EPT's and coast ins.

Our flight dept. used Init X-fer mode. I prefer it since you can make a change on the non-flying pilot's side, view it, and approve or modify it, prior to transfer.

Gulfstream Flight Operations uses and recommends dual.

When I've flown with owner-operators, I've used initiated transfer for obvious reasons.

When I flew with Ford, admittedly some while ago, they used intiated transfer, partially to keep the original flightplan on the right side when they were given directs.

In my view, the need to use initiated transfer diminishes as skill with the equipment increases. That is to say, if you don't know the possible outcome of what you're doing, initiated transfer is a good thing. You can keep trying until you get it right and you haven't adversely affected anything. If you do know, then intiated transfer just adds unnecessary steps each time you interact with the FMS.

GVFlyer said:

Was that the case in the GIV also? I know Falcon taught Init X-fer back in the 900 days, but in the GV and 2000, Init X-fer was only for newbees during initial, otherwise dual.

GVFlyer said:

Not sure why you would want to use Dual Mode... What is the benefit? Even very experienced people make "Fat Finger F$#% Up" mistakes on the FMS, why send both of you to BFE?

Are you really that busy up there that the extra step to send is that difficult?

fokkerjet said:
Was that the case in the GIV also? I know Falcon taught Init X-fer back in the 900 days, but in the GV and 2000, Init X-fer was only for newbees during initial, otherwise dual.

Yes,sir. Dual was used from day one in the G-IV. It is also what we used at Andrews AFB in the C-20's.

Falcon Capt said:
Not sure why you would want to use Dual Mode... What is the benefit? Even very experienced people make "Fat Finger F$#% Up" mistakes on the FMS, why send both of you to BFE?

Our policy is (if you want to call it that) is to set up the FMS on the ground, before you even move the aircraft. Once preflighted and confirmed by the other pilot, what changes can you do to screw up the works? Even a "direct to" can be recalled in seconds with a "direct" and then "previous". And again, I haven't seen people (at least the 30 or 40 pilots that I've flown with at our company over the years) get in the kind of trouble the "Init X-fer" would have prevented. If anything, it may be more safe because it seems to slow down the PNF and keeping the PF more in the loop, kind of like moving a critical switch.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back