• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FMS Discontinuity

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"Why do you want to put a discontinuity in the box in the first place? I can assure you it won't go into hover mode no matter what you put in that danged box! You'll notice, once it gets to a discontinuity it just goes into "roll" mode and keeps flying straight ahead. So if you just want it to keep flying the same direction, put it into "HDG" mode and enjoy."

There are a number of reasons for inserting a discontinuity. For instance, when flying the North Atlantic Tracks you can build a discontinuity at the end of the route on the legs page and then enter your critical points. Using this method the Perf page stays accurate but the Critical points will plot on the map.

On the Boeing, the easest way to enter a discontinuity is to go to the legs page and try to drop a fix just below itself. For example; ABC is on L3 - line select L3 then try to enter it on L4.

This may not work on all FMS's as there are a number of custom software mods that are airline specific.

Select any STAR then IAP , if you look on the legs page there should be a discontinuity between the last WP in your FP and the beggining of the STAR or IAP transition.

Na its easier than that. Go to ACT LEGS page and copy a fix down one line (ie press L3 then L4) It will copy everything down a line and insert a disc for you right after the L3 selection.

oops just read SOVT post must work just like the Boeing does, I just tried it on the sim.

Riiiiight.....

"There are a number of reasons for inserting a discontinuity. For instance, when flying the North Atlantic Tracks you can build a discontinuity at the end of the route on the legs page and then enter your critical points. Using this method the Perf page stays accurate but the Critical points will plot on the map."-SOVT

All right, I'll concede that one, but if you're more than 50 NM off shore in a Barbie-Jet, I'd venture to say you've got more navigational problems than you thought.

-Blucher:laugh:

PS-Relax 700 guys, I mean the even smaller one than you fly!

We build 'em in the Bus on the secondary Flt Plan page. Great way to plot Turbulence or T-storm watch areas and superimpose them on your active flight plan.

If you build a discontinuity and preselect a heading 4-5 miles before you get to the discontinuity when it get there it goes into heading mode and turns to the preselected heading automatically. Wow.(A320)

I was wondering if i was the only one that got a kick out of the guy mentioning crossing the north atlantic in a topic about the CRJ FMS...

Bringupthebird- also must be a bus thing, the Collins won't do that. It'll just keep going where it was previously pointed. Not the smartest box out there...

didn't matter for me last night. We flew with the FMS mel'd! nothing like green needles at night for 3 hours.

PeanuckleCRJ said:
I was wondering if i was the only one that got a kick out of the guy mentioning crossing the north atlantic in a topic about the CRJ FMS...

Reading this I am wondering if I'm the only one who gets a kick out of someone who's intellect is so limited that they wouldn't want to file away a piece of information that may be of use someday.

Latest resources

Back